condensing boilers: mandatory?

Hello,

Are condensing boilers mandatory? If so, why are non-condensing models still in the brochures? As you may know from my recent posts, my boiler died and I am confused. Some plumbers have visited and quoted for fitting condensing boilers and some have quoted for fitting non-condensing. I thought all new boilers had to be efficient. What are the exact regs. and what is the definition of "efficient"?

Running a condensate drain should be trivial but I think I may need a new flue liner (see other post) of I go condensing, which adds much to the cost. I think the other plumbers were trying to save my money (or their time!) by fitting a non-condensing boiler to the existing flue.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

models

flue.

AIUI not mandatory, however to meet the (naive*) efficiency threshold they are practically the only way to go.

*(takes no accouint of energy used in manufacture, shorter life cycle etc)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Essentially mandatory yes, but there are exceptions made for certain circumstances where for one reason or another it wouldn't be feasible to replace an existing non-condensing boiler with a condensing model. Pretty rare AIUI; normally relating to nuisance value of the visible plume emerging from the flue and/or arrangements for disposal of the condensate?

There is (or was) a flow chart on one of the govt sites explaining how to assess it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The straight-forward procedure is difficult to collect enough 'points' to gain exemption.

More or less you would have to be replacing a gas back boiler in a flat or terraced house.

In exceptional circumstances you would have to plead your case withthe local building control officer. You explain that the only way you fit a condensing boiler will require so much more expenditure (you are looking at probably at needing to spend an extra £1500+).

The alternative approach is to disregard the law which has a smallish possibility of huge losses. It is perhaps to this market that the brochures still offer non-condensing models.

It might also be possible to install a non-condensing unit some type of commercial premises - but I'd have to check that.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

My mate had a non-condensing back boiler fitted sometime last year. An old

1974 Baxi back bolier replaced with a new Baxi back bolier. Fitter ticked boxes and said "yip you are OK for replacement non-condensing boiler".

Issues were:-

- No possible condensate drain as in middle of house.

- No possibility of flue to front or back of house.

- Not possible to fit a boiler say in kitchen as kitchen too small (only 3 cupboards) and all pipework at other end of house.

Cost about 2K I think and works fines for him.

Reply to
Ian_m

There are condensate pumps.

Through the roof - boiler in loft.