Router Board

Since the Saw board becae popular,here is a router board for those who dont have a router table.

Basically its a frame made out of 1"x1" wood and two pieces of plywood glued and pinned to the underneath of the frame with a 1.5" gap between the two boards to allow the routers cutter to glide along the work area to be cut. The width of the inner frame depends on your routers base ie some routers are circular and some are 3/4 circular with a flat edge,I have a cheap router that has two flat edges so whatever your routers base is take this into consideration if making this router guide board.

A crude drawing of the router is in place in the pic to show what I mean,the sides of the base touch the walls of the inner frame. It'll give you clean straight cuts,rebates if constructed with precise squareness of the board.

Length is down to how big the individual wants it.

good?

Reply to
George

It needs a couple of slotted metal bits at the ends to allow adjustment of the slot width.

I have some of these as guides

pro version looks better.

Reply to
dennis

Doesn't need any metal bits on the ends Dennis,just make the gap for the widest router bit you have or intend to have? Why buy guides when they can be made at a fraction of the cost...afterall isn't that what's DIY is all about. ;-)

Reply to
George

You haven't quite thought this through, have you?

Reply to
dennis

Enlighten me with your wisdom? if you widen the gap with metal plates on the end then you also widen the trench of the routers base plate and we don't want that.

Reply to
George

The problem arises with those single clampable guides Dennis is when you have to take a couple of mm of the edge of say a worktop,the router is half on and half off the edge of the worktop and if not careful becomes unbalanced.

Reply to
George

That's OK, routers are designed to be used like that.

Reply to
dennis

If you change bits the slot width needs to change or the router bit will no line up with the edge of the slot. If it doesn't line up with the slot its as hard to set as a guide clamp.

You may well want the "trench" to be wider, suppose you are doing a 1" slot and only have a 9 mm cutter? Make the "trench" wider or move the assembly several times.

Reply to
dennis

Like I said make the slot wider and the router bit will still be in the middle.

Dennis even if you were to use one of those guide rails you posted and wanted route a 1" slot you would still have to move the guide to complete the 1" slot with a 9m bit. lol

The whole point about the routers base trench is to keep the router in a straight line without wandering and the two sides keep it on the straight and narrow. ;-)

Reply to
George

oops! I'll retract that statement,if you use two of those guides and set them for cutting a 1" slot then the router can freely move about without the need to reset the clamps. Sorry. :-(

Reply to
George