Wheelie bin style

Not really (Bob and I share the same council). It's quite a good system IMO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You have to pay for your bins. You have to bundle up cardboard. No, that's not a good system. Here we have three bins plus a box plus a tub. 5 free things collected regularly.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Not here we don't.

But surely those weirdos get the bin cleaned AFTER it's emptied. So it doesn't matter what bin comes back, they will have a clean bin.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

You seem very experienced, care to elaborate?

Reply to
Capitol

James Wilkinson wrote: I can fill the medium sized one with just myself and a few pets.

The system of picking up bins with a front mounted side loading grab can be a bit fraught. In Houston a number of bin men have been killed, either by being grabbed or by being run over when standing in front of the low level scoop.

Reply to
Capitol

He could mean deposits from nappies and tampons.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I haven't paid a red cent (or any other colour of cent) for mine.

Bob said "extra" cardboard. That's cardboard that won't go in the paper section of the bin. Since when that bin goes out, it goes out with the garden waste bin. This makes a tight spot for the cardboard to sit between the two bins. If you have a large item delivered, you have to break down the waste cardboard packaging anyway. No "bundling" involved.

We have 3 bins and a small tub for food waste. The black bin holds landfill waste, and here, so much other stuff is recycled that we can quite often skip a black bin day and so a month passes between emptyings.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not disorganised. Just one that doesn't tell its customers anything that might cost the council more money.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We actually have four (we have the optional red bin, and the green one!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why were the bin men outside the lorry? So what if stupid people get killed. The problem lies with the user, not the device. Anyone can buy a Ferrari and kill themselves in it, but they don't stop making them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

So that's one less than me - 3 recycling containers instead of 4. I can even throw out a laptop, a toaster, etc.

They were going to change us to 3 weekly collections for the waste, but it never happened. They said it was to save money, yet I don't see them saving money anywhere, they spend far too much on tarmacking roads all day. We need a local referendum on whether we should halve the council tax and do without extra bollocks nobody wants.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I've seen some bins coated entirely in a huge sticker with flowers on it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

So it's better for them to pick up bales of cardboard than empty a bin? I thought the idea of wheelybins were they saved effort/time/wages.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Read it again. EXTRA cardboard. If the bin for cardboard is full.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Roads will be a different local authority (county council) unless you live in a unitary authority area.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Just google glasgow body wheelie bin :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They do in most places I know.

yes difficult washing a bin out with it full.

No the bin cleaners are private company that clean the bins about once a month but only those bins that they are pains to clean. A bit like window cleaners not everyone waits for it to rain, some have people come and clean their windows rather than next doors windows.

I know it's a bit complex but we have number on houses too so people can mor eeasily tell them apart. Why would you pay someone to clean next doors bin and not yuor own anyway, what's the point ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

The only place people seem to get possessive and write on numbers is council estates. Perhaps it's the ones that have bought their house and look down on the grotty neighbours?

I'd pay someone to clean *a* bin and return it to me. Once it's cleaned, it doesn't matter who was using it before.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

why return it to you. Why not to the person at the other end of the street ?

But it does matter who uses it after or next, that is the point you are missing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's quite poor, we have mixed recycling here, you throw any dry recyclables in a one bin and they sort it by machine.

Food goes in another garden waste in another and whats left in the bin, All emptied weekly thanks to Dave who pays a bribe to councils that do weekly collections

Reply to
dennis