Wheelie bin style

Same here. Dry recyclables (paper, plastic, cardboard) all go together. The box is for stuff like batteries, phones, laptops, toasters which need dismantling. And glass (presumably so it doesn't smash in the wheelybin or the truck when it's tipped).

Why is Dave (presumably you mean Cameron) paying money out to make councils collect bins more often? This goes against the current thinking of cutting back on expenditure and resources.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Here in Ryedale:

- general waste emptied fortnightly

- recycling emptied fortnightly, on alternate weeks to general

Recycling consists of:

- crate for tin cans

- crate for glass

- "bag for life" size "plastic hessian" bag for paper/card

- wheelie bin for garden waste - but only if you pay for it to be collected, which we don't

The crates are larger than they need to be. The paper/cardboard bag is far too small: a lot of time is taken ripping boxes into small pieces to flatten them and fit them into the bag, and even then most weeks it is bulging. Some weeks I can't fit everything in and have to leave some in the alley to be collected a fortnight later.

The brown garden waste bin used to be collected for free (ie included in council tax) but now you have to pay extra. We tend to produce three or four dustbins of waste on relatively few occasions, so it's better to take it all to the tip myself for just the cost of driving there, rather than paying through the nose for a service that can't take it all on one occasion so we'd need to keep it for a long time, drip-feeding it into the brown bin, one wheelie bin full at a time.

Rubble costs several pounds per sack to dispose of at the tip (that's after driving it there myself, and for the privilege of emptying it into their skip. They actually say that people should make their own private arrangement with someone local who may want rubble - I don't know whether they envisage everyone phoning round all the farmers "do you need any rubble to fill in potholes in your farm tracks" :-) Utter lunacy. Just before they introduced the charge I went mad filling as many bags as possible with stones that we had dug out of our garden (sheets of sandstone in the topsoil), and took my regulation one car load per month to the tip - except that I went to four different tips in the area so I managed to take four car loads per month :-)

Reply to
NY

Freecycle the rubble. I assume some builder or other needs hardcore and doesn't want to pay for it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Because I paid for it to be cleaned. But it doesn't matter whose bin it was before it was cleaned and given to me, I end up with a clean bin.

No it doesn't, as they clean them after each use.

Anyway, people could stop cleaning the inside of waste containers. What next, polish the insides of your sewer pipe?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I've never heard of that before. AFAIK I only have one council, and their website has numbers to phone for roads, waste, streetlights, libraries, everything.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Doesn't happen if you have an entire bin to take it instead of a little red insert. Why did they make an insert for the thing that's likely to be largest?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Weekly collections? Are you having a laugh?

I get general waste and recyclable waste[1] bins emptied on alternate weeks.

Not all three recycle bins are emptied every other week - today was green and blue bins -in a fortnight it is blue and green - but the randomness depends on the time of the year.

Reply to
ARW

We get waste every 2 weeks (plans to change it to 3). Paper/plastic/card bin and electricals/glass box every 2 weeks (alternate week to waste). Food every week, along with either of the above two. Garden waste every 3 weeks, not in winter unless you ask - which I think is free, they just send one lorry round a larger area and only make a few stops.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Dunno about rubble, but the wood skip round here has as many people taking the wood away as leaving it. So it doesn't cost the council anything.

As for charges, only commercial people are charged. And then only the ones stupid enough not to pretend to be domestic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I would call that a sackable offence.

Reply to
ARW

What is the name of your local authority?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It isn't likely to be the largest. Putting out a sheaf of bits of cardboard (3ft x 3ft, say) is relatively rare.

Reply to
Tim Streater

James Wilkinson

Yes, but this way we get more bin space.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It does here.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Your average cardboard output is higher than one wheelybin per collection? Use your neighbour's bin then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I have come to the conclusion that you are a troll.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I asked you a simple question, what's your problem?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

At last the penny drops...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All Scotland is unitary authorities[1] since the disaggregation of Regional and District Councils in the 1990s.

England is a mix.

Owain

[1] Ignoring community councils, which most people do.
Reply to
spuorgelgoog