Meter tail question

Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter is getting a nice new mains incomer to her Victorian flat that she's just bought. As it happens, it would be nice to move the meter and consumer unit from their present position and now would probably be a good time to ask the electricity board folk if they could move the meter.
The trouble is, it might take a wee while to get a sparky organised to move the consumer unit close to the repositioned meter (assuming that this might happen). How far away from an existing consumer unit can a meter be moved? It would be nice to put the meter in another room but if that's not possible, a high level meter and consumer unit (just 1.5 to 2m from present position) would be a lot less visually intrusive. No doubt everything has to be low level and accessible these days though. Is a high level meter and consumer unit allowed?
Tim

Any distance you like. If it's more than 3m, then they will usually require a switchfuse next to the meter (the exact limit depends on the local supply network policy and staff).

If that floor of the house currently conforms to Part M of the building regs on height of electrical accessories, then yes, it should be accessible.)
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 15/06/15 22:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

And there's a side case I may have overlooked.
But a part M compliant floor will be obvious in that the sockets will be unusually high off the floor.

Tell them it's that high in case of flooding:-) You could get away with that one.
As Part M only applys to new builds you are safe from the Part M police.
--
Adam

Fortunately it doesn't. ;-)
Tim
Well in a building I was in a while ago, the meters for the flats were in a utility cupboard outside the flats, above the top shelf with a kickstep thing in the bottom so the reader can see it.
I'd imagine after reading a few of these and going up and down the steps the reader would need knee replacement surgery!
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Gabriel" < snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
On Monday, 15 June 2015 22:09:54 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

Oh do tell ...
Anyway, if you leave a nice switchfuse ready for the meter-mover, eg http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CGMSF100.html then he will connect the meter to the supply side of that and test.
(You should also leave appropriate main equipotential bonding to the main earth terminal and a flying earth lead available if the earthing is supplied by the supplier.)
You can then extend from the switchfuse to the consumer unit after he's gone with any ropey old bit of flex you can find :-)
Owain

Weeeell, this was this manky old bit of small bore copper pipe behind a door frame and leading up to where it looked like there has been an old gas light fitting on the other side of the wall. Couldn't decide whether it was an odd water pipe size or a redundant gas pipe. We didn't really want the pipe there as a new shower enclosure is planned for that area. The obvious way to find out seemed to be to drill a hole and see what dribbled out (after turning off water and gas).
Turned out to be full of sparks. ;-)
Electricity board came out and as we'd blown a fuse somewhere that had cut off the upstairs flats and the terraced neighbour, they had to find the single incomer for all the flats (which took them *ages).
Turned out that like the bypass plans in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, it was very helpfully hidden in a back bedroom, behind a false wall, behind a radiator.
Anyhow, long story short, as the set-up is archaic they are going to upgrade the incomers to all the properties gratis.

Thanks, that's very helpful.
As a follow up question, at present a bundle of wires converge on the present consumer unit (small house, just 6 fuses). If the consumer unit was moved would the sparky just extend all the present wires with joins/connectors or is it more complicated than that?
Tim
Tim
On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 23:21:30 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

Bet that gave you a surprise, if you were thinking it was gas...

Anybody'd think you knew that and did it deliberately...
On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 22:52:59 +0000 (UTC), Adrian

I suppose that's what they call Pyro technics.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On Monday, 15 June 2015 23:21:33 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

Sounds like a nice piece of pyro.

DIN rail terminals in an enclosure have been used in the past
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
but then you have to extend 6x circuit cables to the new CU location, so running extended tails may be easier. At least temporarily. See observations made in thread
https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/uk.d-i-y/qA2l4MD4ppM
Owain
On 15/06/15 23:21, Tim+ wrote:

Ah - so you had a feed in MICC. I've seen that done once.

Bet you are Mr Popular!

No - that's about the sum of it.
Assuming he does not find any show stopping problems - he will test each circuit before reconnecting it.
On 2015-06-15, Tim+ wrote:

Yikes! I guess you & the building are OK, though. Was it some kind of large mineral-insulated cable? (That's the only kind I can think of off-hand that looks like copper pipe.)
On Tuesday, 16 June 2015 10:00:06 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:

Wouldn't have to be that large - if the original supply was 40 amp then 0.007 inch^2 is tabled at 45A; modern equivalent 4mm2 is only 7 mm external diameter.
Owain

Yep. Just monumental stupidity on my part. Just because I've never seen visible armoured cable in any house I've lived in isn't a good reason to assume that all copper pipe is just "pipe". ;-)
Tim
On 2015-06-16, Tim+ wrote:

I've never (well, AFAIK, anyway) seen armored cable that looked like copper pipe (other than the MI that looks like microbore CH pipe).

The sort of MI you'd use as a main feed isn't like microbore CH pipe. ;-)
--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Well, it could be - around 10mm OD IIRC. Larger microbore...
On 2015-06-16, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, I haven't seen it, but I don't claim that means it doesn't exist. Our main feed is one of those antique but sturdy ones with the steel tape coiled around it. It can't be mistaken for anything else in the house. ;-)
On 16/06/15 17:06, Adam Funk wrote:

Yeah - I think someone is confusing terms...
I *have* seen MICC used as an extension to the incomer *before* the meter (well, 2nd meter) in a house. And it was quite chunky and as you say, could be confused with a bit of microbore.