What to do with full faulty can of foam :-)

Bonfire night approaches

Reply to
TMC

Just tried to use a new can of expanding foam but it failed on me - no amount of pressure on the trigger mechanism would elicit any response, until eventually the stuff started coming out around the nipple on the can, but from the wrong side of the rubber seal - and yes my hand is absolutely covered in the stuff!

Dunno what went wrong but although it's unused it's quite old, which might be relevant.

But anyway - the 12-year-old in me refuses to allow the can simply to be thrown out with the rubbish... a far more creative method of disposal is required. At least I would extract some benefit from my the mess my hand will be in for the next X days!

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun' ideas.

The floor is now open...

David

Reply to
Lobster

The 12 year old in me once lit a small fire, placed a can of lighter gas nearby and retreated with my trusty Wienrauch 35 ( air rifle) single shot to the centre of the can.......... it took off like a small jet, most impressive :-) kinder than shooting the rabbits and pheasants we have in abundance here, but nowt to "put in't pot" :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Air rifle was my initial reaction but if thats not an option maybe a big homemade catapult or a bit of drainpipe with a block and an upturned six in nail at the bottom would suffice a mortar launcher?

Reply to
TonyK

like it ! could get very messy.

I bought a case of 6 builders foam from screwfix and they didn't work. screwfix sent me a replacement but didn't want the old ones so I still have them somewhere so if anyone comes up with a real doozer of an idea I'll try it out and video the results.

I once had a can of shaving foam rust through. I was living in a flat and I heard this slow build whooshing noise. I'm not the scared type but this was a very strange, very real noise. I eventually tracked it down to the bathroom and there on the shelf was a huge 'brain' of shaving foam with a can in the middle. the can had a tiny pinhole at the bottom of it where all the foam had escaped from.

I also saw one of those road marking spray cans on a country road which had obviously been discarded roadside, rusted through and jet propelled it's self along the side of the lane leaving a yellow splat each time it rolled over.

as for the builders foam:

putting it on a fire, would be very very messy. putting it in a microwave might be more fun. strapping it to one of those HUGE fireworks would be a right laugh but you wouldn't get to see the results unless you snapped the stick off the rocket which would be very, very messy indeed.

strap it to a gatso and plink a pellet into it ?

Reply to
.

I really, really wouldn't. Either microwave or fire. Not to mention the risk of bits of the can hitting you, there is the huge problem of the burning foam being very, very toxic when burned.

To be boring, if you have an application that needs a whole can, you can simply punch a very small hole in it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

tape all six cans together and drop some thermite onto em, now that would be worth watching :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

personally I'd just bin the stuff if only to avoid getting any more on your hands.. it doesn't come off does it !

Reply to
srp

I probably will.

Reply to
.

hmmm, thermite.... in his climate I'll end up doing a 10 stretch in GitMo !!

Reply to
.

"Lobster"

Hmm - we we had some problems with some ginger beer that my wife made earlier this year. See...

we had to dispose of it carefully...

see.... (only for broadband) it's 27MB so takes a few mins to download ....

pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer/gbeer.avi

:-) Roy

Reply to
RzB

In message , TonyK writes

Oooh, I *like* that idea.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

A smaller, low res, version for non broadband...

:-)

Roy

Reply to
RzB

The fumes produced by burning foam are very, very toxic. Nearly all aerosols are safer to burn.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try...

Colin Wilson

Putting any aerosol on a fire is just plain stupid ,apart from being dangerous and not necessarily to yourself .

Reply to
Stuart

Excellent! Nearly as good as a case of coke and a box on mentos

Reply to
TonyK

behave yourself. I've put butane cylinders on big fires in the past.

a large part of the fun is the danger, that's why dangerous things are fun.

Reply to
.

Wedge it behind the wheel of a car belonging to someone you dont like When they drive off, it bursts..... you have a foamy motor and seriously fed up owner

-- IainN

Reply to
IainN

Toss it into a busy main road, then depart hurridly.

Reply to
Colin Wilson