what sander would you reccommend?

I'm planning to re-paint all the wood in our house which is currently painted in a white gloss paint. I will be painting it again in white so I only need to sand it sufficiently to ensure it's smooth and that the paint will stick to it. Most of the wood is flat but some of the architrave and skirting is curved. What's the best general sander to do this task. I'm willing to spend approx. £50 and I don't mind whether it's cordless or not. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
DIY Novice

If you only want to buy one machine for the jobs you state (and not a lot more), a detail sander like the Ferm FTS260K £15 from screwfix will do nicely. For another £9 you could buy a Ferm VM150 1/3 sheet sander will complement the above and do larger flat areas on doors etc.

With this combination you should be well set up for a good range of DIY jobs. The next step up will be a random Orbit sander for finer wood working and the ultimate, a fast stock removal and potential wood butchering tool, a belt sander which has it's place but nowhere near what you need for the basic jobs.

Screwfix also sell reasonable ammo for all these sanders.

Hope this helps

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Get one of the £10-15 B&Q 1.3 sheet jobs then take it back for refund when it breaks which if you're lucky is just after you've finished the job.

Reply to
Mike

Makita palm sander. Anything else may be a bit bulky or too vicious on the architraves. My personal preference would be a Bosch random orbit sander but you would have to be very careful sanding architraves and skirting.

Apologies to OP I clicked the wrong reply button.

Reply to
Kaiser

Bosch random orbit sander for the flat bits, one of those 3M sandpaper covered foam blocks and some elbow grease for the frilly stuff.

(the only effective way of power sanding detail stuff like architraves is with linear oscillation sanders. Festool make some, but they are not cheap!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Dont buy a B&D Sandstorm, they look the part but are utter crap. That said, they will probably last for the job and then you can take it back for a refund. It has a profile sanding attachment too, which makes it easier sanding skirting board and architrave. I'm on my third, its actually good when it works! I'm just about to take it back for a full refund to buy a Bosch PEX 400 as recommneded by this group. HTH

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

After reading the same recommandations I've just bought the Bosch PEX 400. It arrived today and after 30 minutes playing I must confess that I'm very impressed with the speed and quality of finish. Even SWMBO thought the finish was acceptable.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice