I have stripped the carpet from stairs and would like to sand and
varnish them. Currently they are painted white on both sides and bare
wood in the middle.
I own a cheapo orbital sander (~20 quid) and detail sander (~10 quid)
which I used yesterday to sand the top step. I managed to complete the
task but it took 3 hours (to do one step/riser). This is not the
efficiency I'd expect from power tools, especially that I was using
roughest sanding paper (60 and 80).
My questions are:
- is orbital/detail sander "the tool" for this job ?
- what other tool could you recommend for this task ?
- why does it take so long to sand the paint ?
- what is the right technique of using orbital sander, press it hard
or not ?
- will better quality orbital sander help in efficiency, or just
reduce operator's strain ?
many thanks for any help,
- posted 12 years ago