Painting (Entrance Door)

Hi,

I'm painting my exterior entrance door. It's metal. I'll probably finish it in a latex semi-gloss, but my consider a gloss finish.

First, it's been horribly painted in the past. How should I prep it? 150 grit on my palm sander?

Secondly, how can I eliminate brush marks? In the past I've used a foam roller to roll out the brush marks. Does anyone know of another method for producing a smooth finish coat?

Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Llyod

Us oil not latex, from a real paint store, like Ben Moore or P&L and penetrol and a good brush. Sand with 220 minimum , have the store lead you. Oil finishes smother and harder.

Reply to
m Ransley

If it was "horribly painted" it is probably latex. Latex won't sand. You

*could* chemically strip then prime. Oil primer. It doesn't sand well either...best way is wet sanding with silicon carbide paper. #400. Another choice is auto body primer...it sands well. __________________

Use paint. Real paint (oil) and tip it off. Or spray. Either way, have the door horizontal.

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Flotrol and good technique.

Reply to
jeffc

Actually neighbors have a guy staying with them who's painting a bunch. He's an ex-car guy, so he's been using a little bondo to reduce some of the internal corners on molding and then spraying it with an airless brush and some fancy ass nozzle on it.

The result is a car-finish. Totally smooth flowing. Neat look.

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes