Best species for exterior entrance door?

I would like to make an exterior entrance door but I'm not sure about which is the most suitable wood. Mike

Reply to
miey

Cedar, Cyprus, (white) oak or vertical grain fir seem to be common choices.

Good luck! Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

"Rob Stokes" wrote in news:x8gge.50882$vN2.8810@clgrps13:

Mahogany. Jarrah. What do you want it to look like?

Sturdy. Stable. Machines well. Takes finishes well. Reacts predictably to UV. Fits your budget.

Our front door gets a fair amount of abuse, so it's made of fiberglass. It was going to be painted red in any case.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

On Wed, 11 May 2005 04:48:29 GMT, the inscrutable "Rob Stokes" spake:

IF he could afford the purchase, it'd be -mighty- hard to get that country through Customs, so you might want to suggest cypress to him instead, Rob. ;)

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)
Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My wood dealer told me Spanish cedar is being used more and more for doors and outside trim.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mike,

I made my entry door and sidelights from Red Oak. They have been up for about 2 1/2 years, and just got their first light sanding, followed by a coat of Spar Varnish. No sign of warping, or other problems so far. I live in Colorado Springs, which is a fairly dry climate, and the entryway is covered, getting only a little sun in the winter, so I'm not sure what the results would be in other climates.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Kolakowski