Advice for painting exterior door

Hi, I need to paint an exterior door that leads from my third bath out to the side of the house--it's a small door (28") that almost never gets used. The outside is painted with a light-colored exterior paint that's flaking away badly. The inside is varnished wood. We want to paint the outside the same color, and the inside with a solid burgundy oil-based semi-gloss to match the cabinets in the bath.

The main question is, should I paint this door in place, or take it off and lay it on sawhorses to paint it? If I take it off, I figure I'll have to temporarily nail up a piece of plywood in its place or something as the door will have to be off for several days, probably at least four if I do two coats on each side.

--Doug

Reply to
Doug Lowe

If you take the door down, the work should be easier and faster; and the edges would get painted carefully. The top and bottom edges would be first points of entry for moisture and for rot. Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

One can certainly paint a door well without removing it. Lots easier if = you do though.

--=20 dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

When I did it, I removed the door and stapled cardboard over the opening for several days.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Reply to
nospambob

My doors weigh too much for us to remove and paint. I very carefully painted the doors while they were in place. Start early so the edges have a head start on drying before you have to close them for the night. ( Liked the idea of putting wax paper on the corners and top to keep from sticking. )

Reply to
Dorot29701

I'd take it down so that all six sides are accessible. Can't you just tape a piece of polyethylene over the opening to keep bugs and critters out?

RB

Doug Lowe wrote:

Reply to
RB