enlarging door entrance

Hello, I would like to enlarge the door entrance from my kitchen to my living room to give it a more open concept look. There isn't a door on the entrance but i believe there was originally. I'd like to expand it about

1.5 feet on bothsides so that it nolonger looks like a door entrance. How do i know if the wall that the door entrance is in is a supporting wall? also there is a light switch that would have to be affected. How would I move the switch and wiring farther down the wall?

Any help appreciated Steve

Reply to
not Steve Buscemi

If you can look at the framing of the ceiling above the door and if it goes the same direction as the wall, it is not likely a supporting wall, but it could be. As for moving the switch, I suggest you have it done. If you have to ask, you should not give it a try.

The instructions for both of your questions really require on site inspection of someone with some experience. Neither is a difficult job, but there are so many things that can be different for your home than standard and I am going to guess, you might not notice a critical difference, you could be making a serious error and endanger yourself or others.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan