What's he done to it?

Years ago, I bought a cheap hand mitre saw. It looks a bit like this one.

Until recently, it has always cut square and surprisingly accurately. Then my son borrowed it. Now, the blade twists, and I get an angled cut. What's he done to it, and is there any point buying a replacement blade rather than binning it?

If I do bin it, is there any point in buying something similar or are they all crap?

BTW, I know that lending tools is a stupid thing to do, but I am happy to support my son in his new venture, even if he doesn't return stuff in the same condition. And, more to the point, doesn't tell me that he's broken it subtly.

Reply to
GB

I'd say its worth a new blade.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

?2.80

on+Mitre+Saw/p48282

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have a similar cheap saw which I don't have space to store set up, and will admit to having had the occasional learning experience when reassembling it. So may I ask (a) is the blade flat and straight when removed from the saw and (b) have you put it back together again with the parts list at hand to check that all bits are still there, and in the right place?

Reply to
Robin

He may have hit a nail and changed the set

Reply to
FMurtz

those blades twist & bend if pushed too hard. When blunt they need pushing to cut. It might even not be his fault.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, the general consensus seems to be to venture £2.50 on a new blade then. :)

Reply to
GB

Snap! I used my identical one yesterday for the first time after my son borrowed it. It also produced an angle to the first cut. Tightening the blade tension was all it took to get things straight again.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Is that actually a "compound" mitre saw.

A compound mitre saw can cut at a range of angles (some preset) with in addition the blade itself also tilted at a variety of angles (again some preset) in addition to the normal

90%

The gap in the fence would suggest that that saw can only cut with the blade set at a standard 90%.

michael adams

michael adams

Is the frame tightened up enough?

Fit a new blade they are cheap enough.

Reply to
dennis

No, and Silverline don't call it that so it's a mistake by whoever wrote that description. Silverline do sell a compound mitre saw for a fiver more than this one.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I took the saw to pieces, straightened the blade in the workmate, reassembled it carefully but with the teeth facing towards me, rather than away, then tightened it really well. It works again. I don't know which of those actions was what was needed. Quite possibly, as you say, just tightening it.

Reply to
GB