What makes s strimmer Head turn?

Hi All,

B&D electric strimmer - , lots of motor and fan noise from the handle end, but no movement at the business end.

Do that have some kind of flexible drive shaft? Or else what should make the head turn?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

Tempted to answer "A good looking garden hoe!"

Usually just the motor shaft poking straight out of the bottom, and the head fixed to that. Are you sure the shaft is not spinning in the head in some way?

Reply to
John Rumm

I rather thought the same. A quick search for diagrams of B&D strimmers showed the motor to be in the head, not in the handle, so I thought that perhaps the OP had a different model to the ones I saw in the diagrams. Some other makes do seem to have flexible drive shafts.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Hi John,

No, I?m not sure at all, but if the head motor is at the business end, what does the handle make so much noise? Does a fan send air down the shaft?

Reply to
cpvh

Chris Hogg formulated the question :

I have never seen an electric one, other that with the motor at the ground and cutter spool on the end of the motor shaft.

The petrol models have the motor at the top, driving the head via a flexible drive rod.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Our electric strimmer (GL270) has the motor in the handle. It was a USP becuase it's supposed to be better balanced.

Weak point in the one we have is the small cogged drive belt, although ours has been ok. Ours dosen't get heavy use though.

Reply to
Lee

*GL720 not 270 but they didn't seem to be that popular so I doubt it's the same as the one the OP has anyway.
Reply to
Lee

Have you got the model number so we can lookup a parts diagram?

Reply to
John Rumm

A female strimmer with a well shaped motor?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As others have commented, in the electric ones we?ve had, the motor has been at the cutting end. A couple failed when the shaft to drum holder ( where the drum with plastic string stuff fits) coupling failed due to the plastic cracking/breaking etc. The shaft just spun inside the drum holder. I repair it with epoxy, which worked fine and we got a few more years before the motor died.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Thanks for all the comments so far.

It?s a GL701, so may well be belt and shaft drive like the GL7xx models mentioned.

Reply to
cpvh

Silly answer most people turn their heads when they hear a strimmer to avoid dust and pebbles hitting them in the Eye, or if its a young lady with the strimmer some might think its sexy.

Serious answer I'm assuming this is an electric one. Most of mine used motors on the bottom but I believe the move to put the motor higher was to help with the balance of the device when using it. It is not usually flexible. its a straight shaft with some kind of angled drive at the bottom. Probably crap plastic gears or somesuch. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed it is:

Though whether parts are still readily available is another matter :(

Reply to
Lee

Yes, the motor's in the handle on that one. Diagram here

Short of dismantling it, I don't see how you'll tell which part of the drive sequence has failed. I suppose if you could work out whether the flexible drive is rotating by it's sound or vibration, in which case the failure is down in the head. OTOH if you can't feel vibration or hear it rotating, it may not mean that the failure is at the top end - it may just be that the drive shaft turns quietly! If you strip it down, take lots of pictures as you go. Helps no end with reassembly.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes, flexible drive shaft especially if the shaft has a bend in it. They break.

Reply to
newshound

I'd probably start at the bottom end. You might find a failure on the last bit of flexible, you ought to be able to unthread the flexible from that point. The top end should be pressed into a square section to provide drive. If you just find twisted wire at the top then it has failed at that end, you will need to dismantle the top to retrieve the second bit.

Pretty obvious once you get it apart.

Reply to
newshound

ok flexi shaft with motor in the user's end of things:

John Rumm

Hi All,

Beltus Knackerdus!

Too uk a while to get into the beast. I checked one side for a hidden screw, but it was on the other side.

Lots of comments on line that it?s not worth replacing the belt, as the plastic gear will be worn, and the new belt won?t last.

But the gears look ok, so I?ve ordered a belt.

Reply to
cpvh

Bit of a mare to get the new belt on, but the head is now turning.

In the words of the mortal Marc Bolan ?An I hope it?s gonna last?

Night night everyone

Reply to
cpvh