What is the thread on this isolating valve?

I recently stumbled across this group and it seems to be full of useful information. I'm hoping that somebody can help with this question..

I'm fitting an in-wall cistern for a new WC. The instructions that came with it are sparse to say the least. To connect to the cold water inlet, an isolating valve is supplied, but I don't recognise the fitting on the end. It seems to be a half inch thread with a fairly hard rubber type ring about half way along which a 1/2" female connector cuts a thread into. (If this description is not good enough and anyone is sufficently interested then I could email a photo)

Do I just use a standard 1/2" female iron coupler (screwfix no 12341) to connect this to the 15mm pipe?

Any help would be appreciated. John

Reply to
John

Can you post a photo on a web site somewhere?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK here is my best attempt at a photo:

thread that I am confused about is the one on the right hand side of the image.

thanks, John

Reply to
John

I suspect that the end is a 1/2" male BSP and the rubbery stuff is a means of sealing it being equivalent to PTFE tape.

What I would do is to take it to a plumber's merchant or even DIY store and find a female BSP to 15mm copper fitting as you say. It might be an oddball thread but I doubt it.

Then wrap some PTFE tape on it anyway...... probably superfluous but won't do any harm.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's a standard half inch BSP fitting that takes a normal BSP tap connector.

Reply to
BigWallop

I agree

If you can run a 15mm compression nut onto the thread then it's 1/2" BSP, and you should be able to get an adaptor between 1/2" Female BSP (aka FI or Female Iron) and whatever you want to connect to (15mm compression/solder/pushfit etc)

Totally superfluous - try it without!

-- John Stumbles

-+ Question Authority

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks for all of the advice.

The 1/2" female iron coupler had the correct thread. I thought that I'd try it first without any PTFE tape and it worked fine - not a drop leaked out so that's how I left it!

Reply to
John