What a fuss!

I really didn't expect such a result of my simple question about carbon footprint.

It was engendered by the delightful prospect of a hot air balloon jaunt this evening - gifted by our children as a combined Christmas present. Delightful as the experience will surely be we're just a little concerned about all that hot air.

From the balloon, not from the thread although if all the energy used in arguing about carbon footprint, global warming etc. could be put to sensible use I'm sure people would be happier.

Unless, of course, like Mrs Mopp "It's being so cheerful as keeps me going."

Oh, and to those who think that a hot air balloon isn't an appliance, you're wrong, it's an appliance for travel. Just shows how your minds work, an appliance isn't just a household consumer durable.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary,

To be a little pedantic and just for the hell of it :-)

The definition of an "appliance" is as follows:

  1. An instrument, apparatus or device for a particular purpose or use.

  1. A piece of equipment, usually operated electrically, esp. for use in the home or for performance of domestic chores, as a refrigerator, washing machine, or toaster.

The definition of a 'hot air balloon' is as follows:

*Hot air balloons are the oldest successful human flight technology*

Not the same are they?

With regards to global warming, there's a hell of a load of hot air being released about it isn't there?

I hope you enjoyed the flight and had a great time.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Well, if you're going down the pedantry route, a hot air balloon is "an apparatus for a particular purpose or use" . The 1 & 2 definitions are alternatives not both must-be's. Just because it's a big apparatus doesn't mean it's not one. (Just for fun :o) )

Reply to
Bob Mannix