Portable A/C units

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

Reply to
don

air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul i= n hot outside air?

I replied to this question in your other thread.

See here:

DerbyDad03

intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

You need fresh air if you fart a lot.

The hose is needed to exhaust the hot air, same as what is happening to the part sticking out the window on a regular unit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

n air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul= in hot outside air?

Bzzzzt...wrong answer.

It appears that the OP has a dual hose portable unit.

Follow the link in my earlier post.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul = in hot outside air?

Nope, if you follow the OP's other thread, you'll note he uses the words "hoses".

It appears he bought a dual hose AC that does indeed have an intake hose.

See here:

DerbyDad03

an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to hau= l in hot outside air?

Well, excuse us for not figuring out that there was some other thread, which he did not refer to and I still don't see. Plus he did ask why ALL portable AC's come with an "intake" hose. They don't all have intake hoses, but AFAIK, they all have EXHAUST hoses, so it seemed reasonable that he was talking about an exhaust hose.

So, to clarify, the exhaust hoses, which they all have, are for getting rid of the heat from the condenser. If they have an intake hose, which is a better design, then it supplies the cooling air for the condenser instead of wasting cooler room air for that purpose. That air then goes back out via the exhaust hose.

Reply to
trader4

h an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to h= aul in hot outside air?

You must have seen the other thread since you responded in it.

********

out the fly screen have a piece of plexiglass made to fit and cut out for = the a/c?

********

I'll give you that he shouldn't have said "all" but maybe that's all he saw when he was shopping. Since they are more efficient than single hose units, maybe it's hard to find a single hose unit these days. I don't know, I've never shopped for one.

However, since he did refer to it as an "air intake hose", which is an item that actually exists, I don't know if it reasonable to assume that he meant anything other than what he said.

That's just my opinion, which is worth just as much as yours. ;-) No sense arguing about it.

Yep, that's how the dual hose units work.

There's also the added efficiency of not causing negative air pressure in the room which could draw in hot air that needs to be cooled.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:32:48 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in Re Re: Portable A/C units:

Exactly. Units with both an exhaust and INTAKE hose are a far better design.

Reply to
CRNG

ith an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to= haul in hot outside air?

No, because the title of that other thread had nothing to do with portable AC, my reply was to his question about putting a window AC in a casement window, and his question about the portable came later and I didn't see it.

Reply to
trader4

with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only = to haul in hot outside air?

Oh come on, this is silly.

It's fine that you didn't see the later posts in his other thread, but for you to have claimed that you didn't see his other thread and "still don't see it" was just wrong.

If I point out that you saw the other thread, you can't come back and say "No" to that statement because the interweb shows that you did. Whether or not you knew that the 2 threads were related or not doesn't matter, the fact is that you saw the thread, you just didn't follow it very far.

Besides, all I said was (and not even to you) "if you follow the OP's other thread..." I didn't say you (or anyone else) saw it until you claimed that you didn't. All I was doing was pointing you in the direction of the other thread. I wasn't arguing with you.

There was no ill intent here.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How well do those portable units work? I read that the early units did not even come close to a window units, but thing change and can get better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski