How to extend a badly positioned condesing boiler flue?

I recently asked about replacing a back boiler on here and the help given was very useful. Unfortunately due to some stupidity on our part I need some advice on fitting a flue extension.

Our new boiler is a Worcester Greenstar HE 28 Condensing System type which we have had installed in our basement. The standard horizontal flue has been fitted which goes out the back of the house near to a shared back path. Out neighbours have already commented on the excessive steam being produced. We have decided it will be necessary to raise the flue outlet so I have some questions.

  1. Can the Worcester extension parts be used externally? This is the most important bit as extending internally could be very problematic

  1. If No.1 is possible can the vertical outlet be used on the side wall of the house? The diagrams on the product information show this part on roofs but it would be helpful if this can be used on the side wall near to the back window.

  2. If 1 & 2 are Ok to do my rough measurements indicate that we will need the following piping to get the required distance up the house

- Bend connector, 1 metre horizontal extension, bend connector,

1-meter vertical extension, Vertical outlet unit.

If none of the above is possible then we'll probably have to resite the boiler in the kitchen which, although possible will be a real pain and will completely c*ck up the plans for our new kitchen

Any help or advice will be gratefully received

Cheers

GregB.

Reply to
GregB

I don't think you can use the vertical terminal on a wall. They have a technical number, which you could call for advice. When I called, they said I could use the horizontal flue turret adaptor off the boiler (which came with the boiler), go horizontal, use a 90 degree vertical and end with the vertical terminal. Such a route might save you a 90 degree bend, or allow the boiler to be mounted further up the wall.

You could always use enough vertical extensions to get up to the roof line, where the vertical piece would be allowed. This would probably be cheaper than moving the boiler. Also, depending on the layout, you might be able to go horizontal after you reach a convenient height. However, this might look a bit weird if you don't have a rear extension or similar feature to hide it.

I wonder why your plumber allowed the flue to be installed directly onto a shared path?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Extending externally is fine. If the gasses cool and condense even further then they will just flow back into the boiler. No problem.

Best take it up over the eves. But contact Worcester tech dept about it. get your Q formulated right before you ring them to make sure you get the right answer. The problem with terminating vertically up a wall is that you will make it damp.

Just take the flue pipe up as high as possible over the eves. If this visually makes the house look crap, then re-sight the boiler.

Reply to
IMM

Do they not do an adaptor to convert to twin 50mm plastic, a la Keston?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They didn't when I installed mine. They had 100mm and 125mm concentric variations, but no drainpipe version. They may have developed one since, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

IIRC, the Keston allows a max of only 4m of flue draining back into the boiler. Anything longer than this and you have to add additional condensate drain-off points. It shows you how to make them in the boiler instructions.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is a Worcester. The makers are best contacted for situations like this.

Reply to
IMM

Excellent.

Thanks for those solutions. It's good to hear we can just use the horizontal turret as the vertical terminal seems to be quite expensive. I don;t think we can go to the roof because (if I've read the specs right) it will be too long a run. However there is a suitable spot foe the outlest a vcouple of metreas up and one metre across so we'll probably go with piping that allows us to site it there

Indeed. TBH I'm clueless at this type of thing so we just trusted him to do it correctly. Serves me right for not researching fully before going ahead with the install. I suppose I'm lucky that it doesn't seem to be too expensive to resolve the problem

Many thanks for your speedy reply. It is much appreciated.

GregB.

Reply to
GregB

After some thought we have decided to take it up to the eves as you suggest using the vertical extensions. I spoke to Worcester earlier about the terminating on the wall and they said it could be done but it would look really odd. Other houses in our street have similar pipework so it wouldn't look out of place.

The last thing to check is the height problem. The total run will be approx 7/8 metres which will probably be OK provided we use the 125mm rather than the standard 100mm extensions. I'll double check this with Worcester tomorrow

Thanks again for all the help

Reply to
GregB

You presumably employed a plumber to do the thinking for you if he has cocked up, he should put it right, read the fitting instructions re flue. It will probably state that the flue should not terminate on a shared path, if that don't the building regs do, (which we will all have to adhere to soon) if you think you have a case contact Corgi.

Reply to
MIKE THORNE

There is nothing to say a flue cannot terminate on shared path or landing.

CORGI? What can they do? They don't make the regs. They are a self interest group.

Reply to
IMM

True, but whether you like it or not, they are the body designated by the HSE, who in turn are designated by law to which professional fitters must belong.

I would remind you that your pugilistic pal wants to extend the same concept across the entire construction and maintenance industry.

I don't like it either, and wrote to my MP about it. Twice. Why don't you write to Raynsford about it, or his boss or even his boss's boss?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I thought i`d seen something in the Worcester Bosch install guide about not fitting it in a shared passageway, and that a boiler with a fanned flue should have something like 1.5m horizontal seperation.

There may also be height considerations in a shared passageway - it might be possible for someone to inadvertantly come into contact with the flue.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Do you think Thatcher is worth writing to.

Reply to
IMM

Depending on the size of the passageway. A 2 to 2.5 meter wide passageway is fine.

Reply to
IMM

These days, possibly not; although it may well be more effective even now than writing to the hard of thinking in the ODPM.

One may not have agreed with the Baroness's actions, but at least there was never any confusion over where she stood on important issues.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yep, always stood in the wrong place. The women was such a failure.

Reply to
IMM

That depends on your perspective. Now then, about failures - you have failed to comment on government over-legislation in the construction industry. Do you have anything meaningful to say on the subject, or are you going to continue with the same diversionary tactics as ((jag++)++) and his cronies?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ours isn`t that wide. Yes, its almost useless.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

She promised all a meritocracy and totally failed.

Andy, you have it wrong. The government should regulate even more. The quality of the crap dished up by construction companies is dire. More pre-checks, and bigger fines for obvious not nailing down roofs and the likes, should be done. Checks for quality not just structural soundness, should undertaken, not re-active suing, as only parasite lawyers make money then. The best way is to prevent the poor quality in the first place. The UK has an international reputation of being cowboys. Lat year the big house builders made record profits with the lowest number of homes built since the

1920s. In the 1920s the population was only in the 40 millions too, making this even worse when the big picture is fully viewed.

See above and no doubt you were astounded.

Prescott should dish out a few left hooks, that is clear. The ST Rich list still puts parasite landowners and large construction company owners as the richest people in the UK. Foreign billionaires using London as a sort of base, with pet footy teams too, don't count as UK billionaires.

Reply to
IMM