Were you taught to read a map?

Ah, not quite, but still helpful:

"Vancouver, Montréal, and Calgary are all similar in that each city block is assigned 100 numbers ? so the first buildings on the block will have a number ending in ?01? (or close to it), ascending to ?99.? The digits in front of that indicate how many blocks each block is from the centre."

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes - Geography at grammar school, including the reading of the OS maps.

Boring, I thought. But I later got interested in maps and did Geography.

Nothing much to do with the staple crops of Venezuela, etc, though.

Reply to
JNugent

There was one where you could destroy the only McDonalds on the Moon. (PDP-11/GT40 graphics)

Reply to
Max Demian

My geography teacher said that corned beef was so called because the cattle was fed on corn (maize). (Apparently it means something completely different in the US.)

Reply to
Max Demian

And I did so many times. There was a GT40 sitting on a trolley in the middle of the office, when I was a postgrad.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, very different. And in the US, the story is that the salt used to preserve the meat, came in very large grain(corn)-like crystals. It can be confusing, though because in US markets, tinned UK-style corned beef is on the shelf, labelled 'corned beef', which isn't at all like the 'corned beef' sold in the meat department.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Corned beef has meant beef preserved with salt for hundreds of years, and that is still the meaning in America - nothing to do with maize. The current British meaning referring to canned chopped beef is much newer.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Obviously not the GT40 which I knew about - that was a Ford sports car.

Reply to
charles

I was taught how to read an OS map in the late 70s or early 80s.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Does one just look at the map that's available and any key that's with the map and then one knows what's what?

Not sure what aspect of it would need to be taught?

Reply to
Brian Gregory

You would need to memorise the key - or at least the symbols that you were most likely to find useful - and that may require testing to prove that you had learned it. In particular you need to know about changes in map standards over the years - the one that springs to mind is that 1:50,000 maps sometimes don't distinguish between single- and multiple-track railways (even though the key still shows examples of both symbols), whereas 1" and

1:25000 maps are more likely to be correct; mind you, that is a fairly pedantic issue ;-)

You'd need to be shown how to take a grid reference, including interpolation to the nearest 1/10 of a grid square, and the two ways of quoting a grid reference: either prefixing a six-figure reference with the 100-km-square letters appropriate to that map, or else by using the small superscript digits on the grid markings at the corners of the map to prefix the two halves of the 6-figure reference - for example: York Minster is either SE603521 or 46034521.

You'd need to know how to read the contour lines: that they are at intervals

50 foot (old 1" maps) or 10 m (new 1:50000 or 1:25000 maps) and that you may need to follow the lines for some distance until you find a number, and how to tell whether the adjacent lines to a numbered one are higher or lower than it, by examination of the map - for example, if the lines get closer to a stream/river than the numbered one, they will be lower than it, whereas if they are concentric and the circles are getting smaller, they are higher than the numbered one.

But I agree that a lot of the basic principles of a map can be gleaned simply by comparing the map with the key.

Reply to
NY

That's part of what needs to be taught. It might be obvious to you and me.

Some people need to be taught what alphabetical order is, and that words in the dictionary are in that order.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I must have been taught that at some time; I've no idea when and by whom. Most road atlases use a simpler system based on page numbers.

Not really important for motoring.

Quite so.

Reply to
Max Demian

I was waiting for someone to say that! Presumably the DEC one stood for Graphics terminal - it was a PDP-11 with a separate display processir with its own instruction set, and shared memory.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It means "salted".

Even in the UK, "corned beef" is salted.

Reply to
JNugent

Not in a corrie or cwm they are not

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Get an allotment now you can't go gallivanting around in your car. Then you may find such things a bit more relevant. Roots, beans, brassicas, roots, beans, brassicas. That's the mantra.

Reply to
Norman Wells

A map is only useful if you know where you are to start with.

Not the case when you are lost.

Finding your your current position using compass bearings, triangulation,sextant ETC.

Reply to
Unsteadyken

Well, you wouldn't start from there. That would be silly.

Reply to
Norman Wells

I was taught that in second or third form, ~1962. There was an exercise to determine if two points were intervisible by plotting the contours on an intercept line. We were also taught what all the symbols meant and how to orient the map. I love maps too, especially the old OS 1":mile series, printed on cloth-backed paper and concertina folded. They were very durable and easier to refold than the modern plain paper kind.

Reply to
Sn!pe