Can your kids read a map?

Apparently not.
https://blog.7dayshop.com/is-technology-killing-the-road-map/
Millions of people in the UK are clueless when it comes to using a road
map instead preferring to rely on technology.

and a map with contours - now that's something else.
--
Please note new email address:
snipped-for-privacy@CandEhope.me.uk
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 09:54:45 +0000, charles wrote:

Funnily enough, I am just digging out an OS map to work out how much 'hill' there is between here and a UHF repeater...
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:38:02 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Well, I was. But this is good enough...
http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en/
On Friday, 30 October 2015 13:43:39 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

There is a also a transmisison path predictor for TV purposes linked through http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?
Owain
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 07:42:45 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Thanks! That corresponds nicely with my actual TV situation.
I'm after a 70cm repeater about 7 miles away....given that it's on top of a 4 storey building I migh just manage it.
On 30/10/2015 15:43, Bob Eager wrote:

That's a very short pole.
Bill
scribeth thus

Http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html
or,
http://www.g3tvu.co.uk/Radio_Mobile.htm
Bit of a learning curve but when you do know how to drive it, excellent:)
This ones quite good for point to point use....
https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/
and yes Two of the nippers know how to use a Landranger map:)
--
Tony Sayer

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 19:34:25 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Thanks!
On 30/10/2015 13:38, Bob Eager wrote:

Funnily enough a couple of days I wanted to know that. I used Memory Map. it will draw a section for me. A section from a paper map is a right PITA - I remember doing it in school.
And yes, I can use a slide rule!
Andy
On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 21:36:57 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

I did it in the Royal Marine cadets. My dad ran the local one, and he made up a nice visual aid - sheets of perspex, one for each contour line. They fitted into equally spaced slots in a frame, with an actual map at the bottom.
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 09:28:09 +0000

We used to get lots of lorry drivers trying to make a 150 deg. turn outside our house, because "That's what the TomTom told me to do". Duh. A simple check of a map would have shown that anything larger than a van cannot make the turn. There is a simple different route, but TomTom hadn't thought of that, and took lots of persuading to change their advice. This was specific lorry-driving software from TomTom.
So I laugh when I hear folk talk about 'any decent GPS device will get the directions correct', I have bent fence posts to disprove it. To me, the skill to read a map is one that that should be taught in all schools. Then, if the skill isn't used, that is the fault of the person, but he/she will have had the skill available.
--
Davey.