Can your kids read a map?

Apparently not.
https://blog.7dayshop.com/is-technology-killing-the-road-map/
Millions of people in the UK are clueless when it comes to using a road map instead preferring to rely on technology.

Stupid to use paper maps anymore.
On 30/10/2015 01:41, Rod Speed wrote:

If you're meaning use a small screen GPS instead, I can't agree. I think using a map gives you a good sense of things like the route, direction, obstacles. So you'll better understand your journey, and be able to adjust if something goes wrong. Not least with the GPS itself. I also think it's good for the noggin.
--
Cheers, Rob

and a map with contours - now that's something else.
--
Please note new email address:
snipped-for-privacy@CandEhope.me.uk
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 09:54:45 +0000, charles wrote:

Funnily enough, I am just digging out an OS map to work out how much 'hill' there is between here and a UHF repeater...
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:38:02 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Well, I was. But this is good enough...
http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en/
On Friday, 30 October 2015 13:43:39 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

There is a also a transmisison path predictor for TV purposes linked through http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?
Owain
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 07:42:45 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Thanks! That corresponds nicely with my actual TV situation.
I'm after a 70cm repeater about 7 miles away....given that it's on top of a 4 storey building I migh just manage it.
On 30/10/2015 15:43, Bob Eager wrote:

That's a very short pole.
Bill
scribeth thus

Http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html
or,
http://www.g3tvu.co.uk/Radio_Mobile.htm
Bit of a learning curve but when you do know how to drive it, excellent:)
This ones quite good for point to point use....
https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/
and yes Two of the nippers know how to use a Landranger map:)
--
Tony Sayer

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 19:34:25 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Thanks!
On 30/10/2015 13:38, Bob Eager wrote:

Funnily enough a couple of days I wanted to know that. I used Memory Map. it will draw a section for me. A section from a paper map is a right PITA - I remember doing it in school.
And yes, I can use a slide rule!
Andy
On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 21:36:57 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

I did it in the Royal Marine cadets. My dad ran the local one, and he made up a nice visual aid - sheets of perspex, one for each contour line. They fitted into equally spaced slots in a frame, with an actual map at the bottom.

Nope.

Don’t need to know about obstacles with road maps, just go when it tell you to go to avoid them.

Don’t need to understand anything, just go where it tells you to do and check that it isn't telling you to do something stupid, and you don’t need a paper map to do that.

Any decent GPS does that automatically even if you just ignore it at some point because you have seen something you want to take a closer look at or decide that somewhere else looks more interesting than where its just told you to go.
It will keep telling you the best way to get from where you currently are to where you have told it you want to go to.

Some run the same line about mental arithmetic.
I use a decent spreadsheet for anything except the most trivial calculations.
I do that with maps too. I have an excellent sense of direction, never need a map, they are just more efficient than heading off in the general direction of where you want to go and winging it. A GPS in spades.
On Friday, 30 October 2015 10:05:53 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I just knew this post was from you, a meticulous dullard. Do you know Martin Brown or anyone called Dawlish?
On 30/10/2015 10:05, Rod Speed wrote:

Ha! How many times have I heard that! Got a gyroscope in yer head have yer?
My uncle set off across France with that attitude and by the time he got to where he was going he'd missed the ferry booking he'd made to come back.
Bill

Don’t need one.

Never happened to me.
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 09:28:09 +0000

We used to get lots of lorry drivers trying to make a 150 deg. turn outside our house, because "That's what the TomTom told me to do". Duh. A simple check of a map would have shown that anything larger than a van cannot make the turn. There is a simple different route, but TomTom hadn't thought of that, and took lots of persuading to change their advice. This was specific lorry-driving software from TomTom.
So I laugh when I hear folk talk about 'any decent GPS device will get the directions correct', I have bent fence posts to disprove it. To me, the skill to read a map is one that that should be taught in all schools. Then, if the skill isn't used, that is the fault of the person, but he/she will have had the skill available.
--
Davey.

Stupid to use paper maps if you've got a working satnav.
But even more stupid not to be *able* to read a paper map in case the satnav breaks.
I've not navigated by paper map for ages, but I still know how to - even if it is disconcerting not to have a "you are here" arrow on a paper map :-)
I use Viewranger on my phone for displaying OS maps of the area around where I am, to see where to go next and to record where I've been. Very useful when out walking to see where I am, especially at a junction of paths with no landmarks around, where the best way to check I've got the right path is to start walking and see if my trail shows me going along the path that I'm expecting.
I prefer OS maps to Google's own maps because they show other features that are useful for confirming where I am and where I want to go; Google maps are too bland and show roads but not a lot else.

And even if you don't, it makes a lot more sense to get one than to get maps now.

I have the maps, but don't bother to have them in the car anymore because the satnav doesn't break often enough to matter.

So do I, but many never get the hang of them.

And that is the problem that many have with maps, working out where they currently are on the map.

I use MapMyWalk, mainly because it does more than just keep track of where you have been, it also keeps track of the elevation changes which are an important part of how much energy you have expended during the particular walk.

I don't need it for that and the tracks I use aren't on any map anyway many of them are animal tracks or tracks that have developed over time with other people walking there or the mad loons on bikes.
I do find it useful to be able to drop a pin where its easy to get thru a barbed wire fence or around a locked gate, and that's a hell of a lot easier to do with a decent mapper on the smartphone than with paper maps.

Sure, but we were discussing road maps, not off road maps.