Can your kids read a map?

The live traffic satnavs communicate with the traffic servers, if you have live traffic you are a sensor. As long as you aren't the first to hit the queue your satnav will know about the queue before you get there.

Reply to
dennis

They are probably facebooking the people sat next to them.

Reply to
ARW

My satnav (TomTom) doesn't rely on traffic sensors. It monitors the location of mobile phones. If there are a number of phones stationary of a road, it implies a traffic jam. I find it remarkably accurate.

Reply to
charles

Should take about 60 seconds for a 100% score for anyone that has travelled the UK.

Reply to
ARW

The other thing which is very striking is how some people have absolutely no idea of even the general direction of where stuff is, particularly if you are inside and ask them to point to where something well known in the area is. Some of them point as much as 180° away from where it actually is. So its not very surprising that those get lost very easily in an area where there are no obvious landmarks or where they haven't been before.

Reply to
78lp

Fire extinguisher sales rep?

Reply to
ARW

Gosh yes I wish mine had a camera. You know, for all those car crashes, bank robberies, strafing attacks by low-flying communist aircraft that I see on a daily basis.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You don?t have to pay anything like that, even new.

Reply to
78lp

More fool you.

Reply to
78lp

I got all of them right except Belfast, and that was carelessness: I know Belfast is towards the east of Northern Ireland (and therefore Derry would be the other one) but I clicked on "Derry" instead of Belfast when shown Belfast's dot.

Otherwise, easy. A few surprises: Birmingham was further west that I expected (I thought it was only slightly further west than Oxford) and York was not as far north as I expected in relation to the latitude of Manchester.

Reply to
NY

I think the operative word is "inside" - you are depriving people of cues such as the direction of the sun at a given time of day and outside landmarks whose position they may know in relation to the place you are wanting them to point to.

I keep meaning to check up on a map where my TV transmitter is in relation to my house, because everyone's aerials seem to be pointing roughly 45 too far clockwise to where I think it is.

Reply to
NY

Totally agree with the Hon member from wherever he is;?....

Reply to
tony sayer

That's because they weren't all in the right place.

Reply to
charles

1 wrong - confused Brum and Manchester.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ours did that at Primary School. I can't remember what The Boys was like but No.1 Daughter's wasn't bad. Which is surprising as she has a hopeless sense of direction, distance or location. She is a "turn by turn" not a "place location" navigator. She'll reliably follow a turn by turn route she knows but not be able to "visualise" that route and optimise it.

These days I wouldn't be surprised at all, kids have so much cotton wool around 'em they'd be lost the moment they couldn't see the front door, or before. They'll generally be driven everywhere and during that have their heads down facebooking, tweeting, gaming, texting WHY and not pay any attention to the outside world.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Inside a large building does make that tricky especially if you've been inside along windoless corridors making doglegs, left/right turns changing levels etc.

I have a pretty good sense of direction, outside. But occasionally something will flip it 180 degrees and only ever 180 degrees. It takes quite a mental effort for several minutes for it to reset.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

None of the neighbours kids get anything like that and one family has so many electronic toys that the other kids are green with envy. Those two walk past my place with a football etc most days.

Reply to
78lp

I find the ETA useful when heading off to work. I know the normal journey times and allow an extra 20 to 30 mins partly as a buffer for the unexpected and partly so I can get a brew on arrival and not have to leap straight into working. If the ETA is a bit tight as a join the motorway with the next action 60 miles away I can set the cruise a few MPH faster and "gain" 5 mins or so.

Live traffic and satnav are new to me. I should have followed it when it started taking me across to and up the M6 from Emley Moor and not up the "better" route to the M1/A1. There was a roadworks closure on the M1 near Wakefield and another on the A1 between Leeming and Scotch Corner...

She has my sympathies, does she drive?

I suffered as a kid with travel sickness, if I could get 50 miles without throwing up there was something wrong. Qwells might make that

100 miles... Teens was better but more down to coping strategies, like going to sleep.

I then learnt to drive and susceptablity to travel sickness dropped hugely, cars, minbuses or coaches are no longer a problem. Boats still are but if I can see the horizon or something far enough away that it is static it can be controlled. Planes and turbulance, I go to sleep.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , ARW writes

I think this has become one of those things people say (people sitting around, not talking) , i'm not really sure how much it's the reality.

Once upon a time, if I was on my own in a cafe or pub or sat on train or whatever I would probably have been reading a paper. Sometimes I would chat to someone instead or, or as well. But often I'd prefer my own company. Sometimes, when out with my wife, we might both sit in a cafe reading different bits of the papers. Chatting a bit, reading a bit.

Nowadays, I'm still likely to be reading the paper, or a book, etc. except I'll be reading it on a screen (phone or tablet) - i might be playing a game, but i'm not a great one for that. I don't really see the difference to when I was reading the paper.

And the idea of groups of people all sitting around, ignoring each other isn't what I see that much really. A phone doesn't have to mean you are excluding others. Sure when with other people, sometimes someone might use their phone for a bit, they might drop out of the conversation, but then they will come back in. Or they might just use their phone and keep on chatting as well. - And yes I've been in a situation where we were having a face to face conversation and chatting with people online at the same time.

And watch a bunch of teenagers, sure they've all got their phones out, but there is a lot of interaction, showing phones to each other, group chatting with other friends on messenger, taking stupid photos etc.

As ever, I think it's a partly a generational thing, and also about an etiquette developing about what is appropriate. So my FIL would find it very annoying if I was to sit at the table fiddling with my phone, so I will generally avoid it (though he would find it ok for him to sit and read the paper and ignore me...). With some other people it is more acceptable.

Reply to
Chris French

In message , charles writes

That's what I thought.