Well OT: Kidney donor

My wife was doing a puzzle the other day and just out of the blue asked a random question that I couldn't answer - but maybe someone here can.

If a person becomes a live kidney donor but the recipient then dies in a car crash, can the donor have his kidney back?

Discuss :-)

Reply to
John

Interesting - I would have thought the scar tissue from the original operation would make a reinstatement very difficult if not impossible.

If you are considering a moral right - absolutely not. Once given, all rights to control of the kidney are given as well.

The only reason to consider it would be if the original donor was waiting for a kidney at the time because the single remaining kidney was failing. In this case, it would be an optimum transplant because of the lack of rejection risk.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Not at all. Kidneys are not installed in the same place they came from, so the donor could easily receive back his own kidney.

Reply to
Huge

I expect this is a theoretical "yes", but in practice unless the remaining kidney was failing in the donor, it would not be worth the risk of further surgery.

Reply to
John Rumm

And easily reinsert it himself if he had an angle grinder handy. ;-)

Reply to
David in Normandy