Weird gas consumption OVO SM

On a Smart Gas meter and able to look on line at the consumption for year, month, week and individual days...

We are away from home this week, boiler is off, we have no pilot lights so their should be no gas used. The weekly shows the consumption for the day we left, then 0.05kw 0.29p each day since. The graphs for the individual days, logged every 30 minutes show a bar, but zero actual consumption. I do a regular drop test and the SM installer did his own test when fitting the meter, so I'm pretty sure we don't have any leakage, but....

Is there a fault with OVO's online calculation or display I wonder?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Could it be slow leakage through the valve on the boiler, and enough draft up the chimney to carry it away and prevent a build-up? What happens if you actually turn off the gas supply at the main tap?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Same here with a WB Greenstar boiler. I have assumed it is the boiler function to keep a small reserve of ready heated water so it occasionally fires up to do this. Not tried fiddling ith the settings to confirm that - .5p a day is not a large part of the bill...

Chris K

Reply to
ChrisK

Turning the valve off at the meter will be my next thing to try, but not until next year.

To answer the other question - The boiler, timer and water valve have all of their power isolated. The timer is battery backed, so its an easy way to not waste gas heating water up twice a day, when we are away, without changing the timer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If I've done me sums right (admittedly an "if" that probably deserves to be in 36pt Arial Black) that's a loss of about 4 litres of gas per day. IIRC that in turn is about what you'd typically have in your pipes. So unless you do your tightness test for a *lot* more than the usual 2 minutes I'd be surprised if it'd pick up that rate of loss.

Reply to
Robin

Ah there is an alien in the boiler growing ever so slowly like the one in the film, one day the boiler will go bang and you will have mutant aliens all over the house eating you brains... Sorry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is that maybe the daily standing charge at .29p per day

Reply to
ss

No, the standing charge is 27.4p per day.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Plus VAT?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Electricity:

10.36p/kWh Standing charge: 27.40p/day MPRN: 1830547501 Gas: 2.43p/kWh Standing charge: 27.40p/day
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Oooops forgot about the VAT.

27.4 +5% =28.8p rounded up would be 29p
Reply to
ss

As others have said, are you sure that all those figures are not ex-VAT?

It seems a bit of a coincidence that 27.4 + 5% = 28.77 which is the figure quoted by others for the standing charge, and pretty close to your 29p per day "consumption".

Reply to
Roger Mills

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :

It took some digging to find out, but yes the 27.4 is ex-VAT. Nowhere I could find, suggested that the consumption figures included the charge for the meter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Having said that, I was assuming that 0.29p meant zero pounds and 29 pence. If it actually means a fraction of a penny, that would make slightly more - though far from exact - sense in terms of the alleged "consumption". [0.05 kWh @ 2.43p/kWh would be around 0.12 pence, not

0.29 pence. I'm now more confused than you are!]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills used his keyboard to write :

Maybe a rounding error somewhere in their website software?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't think a rounding error would account for a factor of nearly two and a half!

And I'm still not sure whether your 0.29p is £0.29 or £0.0029 Which is it?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sorry, it is 29p or £0.29

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

OK, so the bulk of that is the standing charge, even if that's not clear from the information it provides.

Whether or not it is *also* showing some consumption, I'm not sure. If it's 0.05 kWh per day, that would only account for about 0.12 pence - so your standing charge of 28.77 pence would round up to 29p regardless of whether or not the 0.12 pence were added.

Reply to
Roger Mills