Wanted - mini acrow prop (or two)

I'm after something like an Acrow prop but with a length in the range of, say, 10 to 30cm. Is there such a thing?

A scissor jack or a small hydraulic jack might work but they both have disadvantages:-

The scissor jack is 'wide', ideally I want something fairly slim.

A hydraulic jack has to be upright[ish].

Reply to
Chris Green

trench strut?

this one's 32-47cm, maybe smaller elsewhere

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's certainly the right idea, thanks.

Reply to
Chris Green

A Search term that may turn up something would be machinists jack, Used in machine shops and thrown away by the ton over the past few decades and now only available from a few suppliers.

Scaffolders use things called base jacks to provide a base on uneven ground , you might find someting to suit using that term. Might have to take a hacksaw to one.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

If what you are trying to prop apart does not involve a lot of force on the prop then a quick release clamp with the fixed head reversed or a sash cramp the type with the detachable heads could be used in a similar way.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

There certainly were mechanical bottle jacks about the same sort of dimensions as a hydraulic one - maybe used from Ebay? Not sure I remember seeing one that was as small as 100m closed, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would help if you described the application... in particular the load, conditions, duration of use etc.

However there are short underpinning jacks:

John Rumm

size 0 are (duh!) even shorter 200-320mm

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well it's not just one application. However the most recent was to hold up a bed while moving the floorboards underneath it. Other cases I can think of (more horizontal ones) would be holding panels in place in under seat cupboards while fixing them.

Reply to
Chris Green

Light loads like that you could manage with an adjustable decking pedestal, various lengths and makes available. One makers range here,

Or put decking pedestal into Ebay you'll get loads.

eg.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Many "trigger clamps" have reversible jaws, which will be OK for the bed job and might work for the second one, with a bit of scrap timber as a spacer.

e.g Screwfix part 86306. Key term is clamp *and spreader*

Reply to
newshound

sounds more like a scrap wood job, and maybe a block.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Brilliant, thank you, just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Reply to
Chris Green

Or even something like this

Roger Mills

Who was the Greek who suggested a way of moving the earth?

Block and suitable lever with a second suitable height block for permanence?

Reply to
Tim Lamb