Gas Safe Engineer

You may find this amusing .. (or at least odd)

I took out a Boiler service contract with a UK company - YourRepair Running for a couple of months - get a call "I'm a Gas safe Engineer and been requested by YourRepair to come and do your annual service, I'm in the area tomorrow - is tomorrow 12-1300 OK"

I agree

On the day she calls to advise she will be with me in 30 mins, arrives (first time there has been a female gas engineer) shows her Gas Safe ID, explains how she will work under COVID-19 safe practises.

Then for about an Hr carries out service, exactly as expected, clean, inspect, CO test, meter consumption test etc. Shows me all the details logged into Laptop ... all done and departs.

Several days later I get an intermittent 'loud bang' on start up, not every time but 1 in 4 or 5 starts. Often called Explosive Ignition.

I log a fault call with YourRepair (its done on web) explain this happened not long after service visit, but may be unrelated, and get a job reference. Then couple of Hrs later I get an email - they had not carried out service so job cancelled. I called them, and they deny sending an Engineer to carry out service - I try to be logical and advise I don't get random GasSafe Engineers coming to my house and carrying out a service for free.

Did I have her name - no I did not record it, did I have paperwork... no as she entered it all on her Laptop.

It takes a lot of calls before they finally agree to send someone ......

How bizarre is this !

I have reached out to GasSafe register to see if they can help identify her, as she did advise where she lived ..... so still waiting on reply on this.

Maybe this is a reverse SCAM .... people come and do work on your boiler, and don't want paying for it.

Reply to
rick

Failed assassination attempt. I want a refund ;)

Reply to
Richard

She doesn't work for Your Repair don't forget,.She's presumably self employed She'd "been requested" by them to do the service. Maybe she mostly works for other contractors and this was her first job for Your Repair. And she didn't follow the correct procedure which differs from the others after completeing the job.

This is probably a busy time of year for boliler repairs and servicing and she herself may not even have realised her mistake until much later.

michael adams

michael adams

Like negative interest rates you mean?, where people could be paid to borrow money :-)

Reply to
Andrew

You get a cold call from some anonymous person "claiming" to be from a service organisation.

You then let someone into your home and later find out that the service organisation have no record of service being performed.

You cannot even guess what the scam is?

Reply to
alan_m

Given your boiler has now broken, that could be the scam.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Who's cold calling ? The OP first contacted "YourRepair" via their website which for all I know, depite all the impressive looking photos maybe, could be being run from somebody's spare bedroom.

"YourRepair" contacted one of the Gas Safe engineers they promised they could get work for, maybe at 25% commission, The gas engineer went to the OP's house and announced they'd been requested by "YourRepair" to come and do his annual service,

What are you suggesting ? That the Gas Safe engineer is tapping "YourRepair"'s phone ?

What's interesting though, is that "YourRepair" don't seem to have remebered that the OP had contacted them in the first place. They knew or at least thought they knew, that no service had been carried out. But not that.

michael adams

michael adams

No call history on phone?

Reply to
Andy Burns

just had two airbags replaced and the did a full check over of everything on the car with a video... washed and valeted the car and reset the clock to GMT and left a new car smell air freshener.....all free and not asked for...it is catching

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

So you let a woman service your gas boiler?

Reply to
ARW

It's not that unusual these days.

I recently had a new boiler fitted, the team arrived on the day, one male engineer and one female. The female did most of the work!

The boiler works fine.(so far)

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

It happens that ARW formulated :

I think some women can be just as practical and capable as men, its just their upbringing that makes the difference and they way they are not expected to do practical work that holds them back. I have met many useless males, when it comes to anything practical.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It's very strange. The only way to contact the company seems to be through their 0330 number or by *opening an account" (they have a registered company address too, and on the Trustpilot site there is an email address given in one of the YourRepair replies to a complaint). Now if the OP had a contract, i /assume/ that was set up via an account. So how could YourRepair not know who he was?

Interesting also that on their "Faqs" page it states:

"Are YourRepair engineers vetted and approved?

Absolutely, our engineers are vetted to ensure the highest possible standards, we:

- Audit and inspect jobs upon completion..."

They don't seem to have audited that job "upon completion".

Or is this the curse of an "electronic" society where no physical records exist, and if something goes wrong, it's lost in cyberspace?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The Queen serviced Army Lorries during the war, reputedly. No doubt she'd no longer be up to the heavy work, but she could probably still drive the van.

michael adams

All stand

michael adams

michael adams used his keyboard to write :

I have seen that said, but I would guess that would be mostly a story for the press and the public at the time.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Jeff Layman presented the following explanation :

So very easy and low cost, to simply set up a website offering such services, but not have any engineers on the books. Not difficult to just seek out engineers within range of an address, to call them, have them agree they pay you a percentage for the lead you provide.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

What's wrong with an 0330 number? Its just an ordinary standard rate number like any other but not associated with a particular geographic area.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

It's a true story. Plenty of women did stuff like that.

Reply to
Fred

"At the age of 19, Princess Elizabeth joined the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS). After joining, she trained as a driver and mechanic with the rank of Second Subaltern. Five months later she was promoted to Junior Commander, which was the equivalent of Captain."

from

Chris Hogg

There were plenty of pictures of her in action further down the page on the link I posted. With Margaret and the Queen Mum ( A Viz favourite) looking on. Of the two Elizabeth was always the more serious minded. I had an uncle who served in the Coldstream Guards at Windsor and that was at least what he said. That Margaret would joke with the guardsmen but never Elizabeth. Who took her sense of duty directly from her father, George VI.

michael adams

.
Reply to
michael adams