WD-40 anecdote

I suspect that the clearances in a long-case clock are larger. But as you say, being enclosed means there is less access for dust etc from the outside world.

Reply to
newshound

Many vegetable (and animal) oils "dry", i.e. go solid because of oxidation and cross-linking, linseed being a particularly good example. This doesn't happen to the paraffinic hydrocarbons which are normally a large component of mineral oils, but it may happen to a degree with less highly refined oils (unsaturated hydrocarbons may also polymerise). If modern mineral oils appear to "dry out" in service, it is normally because of simple evaporation.

Reply to
newshound

I have seen watch mechanisms cleaned by putting them in a little revolving cage immersed in three different liquids. Then each bearing lubricated afterwards.

Reply to
harry

Due to lack of anything else, I've used it on mains switches (rocker, pull and, especially micro). It's also freed up the LH switch on an expensive and no-longer-available trackball; used it about 5 years ago and, apart from a bit of mechanical packing due to 10 yeras of wear, it's still OK. These are, of course, well enclosed and not too exposed to dust.

Disclosure: it was actually Tesco Maintenance Spray. Can't imagine what that might be ;-)

Reply to
PeterC

Apparently almond oil stays liquid. Some other vegetable oils go like varnish. How about castor oil?

Reply to
PeterC

I've heard nasal sebum is the lubricant of choice for watch repairers

As for WD40, I used to use it on my shed padlock, but I needed to use it two or three times a year. Since switching to three-in-one, I've rarely had to reapply it.

Reply to
Halmyre

May be for a simple watch.

If you look at something like the old Timex watches, which had no jewels, simple pin pallet escapements etc, you can see that such an technique would probably work. They were really quite impressive in there simplicity. My wife had a 'Snoopy' Watch which had a Timex movement which lasted 35 years or so, it was worn in the garden, doing house work etc. It was never cleaned etc. Eventually the mainspring gave up. Her Longines has been repaired at least twice in that time, it isn't worn for 'rough work' and isn't even her only other watch.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It's really good for getting chewing gum out of a toddler's hair...

Reply to
A_lurker

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've heard that a smear of paraffin inside the back of a watch will keep the oil in the bearings mobile.

Reply to
Max Demian

Good old Castrol R, I guess this may have originally been developed for WW1 aero engines, but much loved by British motorcycle racers of the

1950's and 60's. I believe this was pure castor oil, it was important not to mix it with mineral oil. It was reckoned to give lower friction than mineral oils, hence more power at the crankshaft. Certainly the fatty acids that it contains are very good boundary lubricants. I'm pretty sure that castor oil readily forms lacquers and varnishes at IC engine temperatures.

Most vegetable oils are triglycerides, often unsaturated. The double bonds gives them a tendency to polymerise, this is the reason that linseed oil can be used to give a durable finish on cricket bats, etc.

Almond and Peanut oils are two which don't "dry", according to Wikipedia.

Reply to
newshound

Yes and also from sharks. Presumably the basis of squalene/squalus.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Occasionally, a motorbike will go past, and I still recognise that delicious castor oil smell. We'd put it in the petrol tank claiming that it was upper cylinder lubricant; but if I'm honest, I think we just wanted people to notice the smell.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

My brother had a Honda 250 in the '70s and used to put a teaspoonful of R in the fuel tank. When I was cycling home from work he'd go past and I'd sniff his exhaust!

Thanks, that explains it.

Peanut butter dries out - I suppose that the palm oil is the culprit. I intended to get some almond nut butter today but ran out of cash (i.e. neede the rest for the pub).

Reply to
PeterC

Oh yes! An aqaintance on the bus today had a couple of Classic Motorcycle mags. Much reminiscing.

Reply to
PeterC

I had a Tiger Cub, and in the first or second issue of Classic Bike, they had a picture of one with the caption 'they all sound like that, sir'. I loved that.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Just dug the watch out. Climax. H Samuel. Manchester. It still works and probably still will do when I'm dead and burnt.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The bit about foam on drinks turned my stomach.

Reply to
Brian Reay