WD-40 anecdote

Posted without comment, but this came from a fellow tribologist from the sort of family that would be expected to have very good long case clocks as heirlooms.

"We inherited an old grandfather clock from my parents-in-law, which had been kept going by a local retired engineer who was a clock enthusiast. He offered to come and set it up after we had installed it where desired. Ah! I thought, now I shall see an expert at work. So he arrives, takes off the hood to expose the mechanism, checks the weights and their cables and then gets out the biggest can of WD40 I have ever seen and sprays the entire works for about ten seconds! And that was it. It is still going some ten years later, unlike the ancient engineer who has recently died.

I am looking at WD40 in a new light!"

Reply to
newshound

I have a 50 year old cuckoo clock that would stop working after about 3 months. I blasted it with WD40 (you are not supposed to do that) and it worked for 3 months. I then blasted it with meths, it worked for 3 months. I was considering taking it apart, soaking it meths and buying clock oil - but it was not an expensive clock I suspected wear and tear. Finally I soaked it with 3 in one oil (you are not supposed to do that).

12 months later it is still going.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

When I were a lad some 60 years ago, we had a pendulum wall clock in an enclosed case at home. The local clock repairer who lived next door told us to put a small jar in the bottom of the case with cotton wool in it and add a few teaspoons of paraffin and keep it moist thereafter. Seems the oily vapour kept everything lubricated. It ran perfectly for tens of years before the spring broke.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My friend's mother greased the sun roof of her car with butter. She was terribly proud of having got the better of her garage, who had wanted to charge her for this. It worked very well, but it was a bit whiffy. Olive oil would have been a better choice.

Reply to
GB

My electrician, whom I have known for over 50 years, about twos year ago bragged that he sprayed WD-40 on his knees to ease the joints. I was staggered.

However a few weeks ago he confessed that one had been replaced. I didn't have the nerve to ask about the other.

Reply to
Pinnerite

I still have my dads H Samuel wrist watch. It must be well over 80 years old. It still works. He used take it for cleaning and told me that the watch guy used to suspend it over a tub of meths and that is what cleaned it. I've always had doubts about this.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Did they have grease nipples?

Reply to
Max Demian

I used to clean my shoes with olive oil - it works well, but eventually seems to evaporate or dry up somehow. I had the idea of using boiled linseed oil instead, since it sort of hardens a bit, and I think it's just perfect. Wouldn't use anything else now.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Another one. A friend of mine recently had a knee replacement and she swears when she came around there was a strong smell of WD 40.

Makes you wonder. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The oil I used to like was that supplied for sewing machines. Quite why it was called sewing machine oil when it seemed to work wonders on almost anything was a bit of a mystery. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Jim GM4DHJ ...

There's no doubt WD40 can make things work that needed lubrication. The real question is if it is a short or long term fix.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perfectly sound idea. In a well-sealed space you could use a thin oil. 3 in 1 might be good, I think its rust inhibitor is also sufficiently volatile to prevent (or reduce) corrosion of steel parts.

Reply to
newshound

Knew it had to be good for *something*.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well you can get Diesel brand "men's grooming" products. If it smells of diesel they might as well call it Shit.

Reply to
Max Demian

For water displacement, a short term fix.

When I worked in the motor trade it was depressingly familiar (although nicely profitable) to deal with an endless stream of numpties who - having seen "the nice AA/RAC man" spray WD-40 into their engine and start the car, thought it was the manufacturers approved technique.

Fast forward a few weeks when the accumulation of crud meant you could only just make out the HT leads, and we'd have to attend as no amount of WD40 would make it start.

As far as I was concerned, the correct fix was to clean the engine and bay *properly*, and clean all the shit off the HT leads so the laquer on them could do the job, and prevent moisture forming a path for shorting.

I never ceased to be amazed at people who thought that manufacturers who spent hundreds of millions of pounds to develop a car somehow "forgot" to add a spoiler or drop of fuel conditioner or bolt on widget which somehow improved performance.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ah - the modern lava lamp.

Reply to
PeterC

From another newsgroup I have learned that WD40 is a no-no for model railway locomotives. It apprently works great at first, but then drys a little, becomes sticky and gather's dust and muck into the mechanism.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

according to NASA WD40 is not a lubricant but a water displacment agent. ive seen tiny amounts used effectively on squeaky car fan belts. most oils dry with time. Tung oil and walnut oil are said not to degrade very quickly. In guided missiles they use Whale Oil for gyro lubrication. Or used to.

Reply to
john.west

That's what I've found - the hard way using it on bikes. Maybe because the clock's enclosed makes a difference?

Reply to
RJH