WD-40: contents

So now we know what's in WD-40.

PeterC

I was only thinking about WD40 yesterday.....I have a pair of '100% waterproof' boots, which aren't, they are a type of suede on the outside and christ-knows-what on the inside, I was going to buy some waterproof spray from millets but happened upon the WD40 in the shed and started thinking about giving them a spray with that.

I haven't yet as I'm a bit wary about what it might do to the synthetic rubber soles.

Any advice anyone?

Reply to
Phil L

Probably a disaster. The WD40 will short-term push water away until the volatiles have evaporated, but it's useless for waterproofing. Actually, because it's rather good at washing away oils and grease, it can leave items more prone to water damage than they were before.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed - if you must use something inappropriate, GT85 from bike shops would be better as it contains silicone.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Or something appropriate:

(I hope the wibble is OK - TinyURL seems to be down)

but they'd need cleaning first:

PeterC

Well I've got a shoe that accidentally had a good soak in old engine oil yesterday when I changed the oil in the lawnmower. So far the shoe is nice and shiny but showing no signs of dissolving.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Did you keep enough engine oil to do the other shoe?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Especialy one's codpiece.

Reply to
PeterC

Wasn't there a scare a few years ago warning mechanics not to put oily rags in their overall pockets. Risk of testicular cancer or summint?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's more than a scare, especially with the carcinogens in used oil (me last GF is a dotor... oh, and her definition of a chemist is 'a man who washes his hands before going to the loo - also should apply to mechanics).

Reply to
PeterC

All depends on the rubber. Since WD40 is based on hydrocarbons (just like petrol and mineral oil) it won't do much to nitrile, which is why you have nitrile O rings, seals, gaskets on carburettors, gearboxes, wheel bearings, etc. But it will dissolve into natural rubber or SBR (styrene butadiene) which, although synthetic, is chemically much the same as natural. This will cause the rubber to soften and swell. As the volatile components evaporate, the rubber will recover its properties. But you may have damaged it mechanically while it is soft.

Agree with other posters, you are better to use nikwax or similar.

Reply to
newshound

On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:16:13 GMT, "The Medway Handyman" had this to say:

There was a nofficial poster used (around the late 60s) in works premises warning about scratching your bollocks after playing about with oily thingummies. Probably before cancer was sucha nemotive subject.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What about female mechanics?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They should also wash their hands before scratching your bollocks.

Reply to
PeterC

I can just imagine the wartime-style "mechanics: never keep your bollocks in your pockets!" poster...

Reply to
Jules

Nice one. I will tell her later.

Adam