Washing machine on / off switch

Anyone any experience of a dodgy on/off switch on a whirlpool washing machine?

Mine continually flickers on and off when in use or on standy. Sometimes the machine works ok with the flickering but on other occasions we have to stick things alonside the on/off switch to make the machine work.

I've taken it apart and it just seems to be a rocker type affair with no moving parts as such. I can't see anything wrong with it but presumably there is.

Also if I push on the front panel near the switch this can sometimes cause it to come on but as soon as you take the pressure off the machine can stop again.

A new one is £22 so want to be sure before splashing out on something that might not cure the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Chas

Reply to
Charlie

When you took the switch apart were the contacts nice and clean and would the two parts of the contacts have met properly when the switch was made? Also check the ext connectors to the switch are tight.

Reply to
BillV

Took them apart this morning - one of the contacts was black and one of the plastic holders had melted slightly. I cleaned up the contacts and replaced everything and adjusted the spring to allow for the plastic melting. I've put it back together and its better but not

100%.

I imagine one of the contacts having melted flat rather than having a point of contact has a surface of contact won't be helping.

Would there be any danger in making a permanent contact with the on/off switch in the machine and using the mains on/off switch which is on a fused spur?

Anyhelp appreciated,

Chas

Reply to
Charlie

I think you'd be better off buying a new on\off switch, although you're method would work. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Ordered new switch yesterday at 2pm arrived this morning at 9.30am. Fitted and all hunky dorey. Ordered it from Ace Domestic via the internet - not a bad turnaround eh? and £10 quid cheaper than my local washing machine shop who said the part would take 48 hours.

Reply to
Charlie

Job's a good'un! ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.