Washing machine leaking slightly

Every time I do a wash - which seems to be working fine - there is a little puddle of water on the floor by the filtery thing at the bottom right.

Machine is a curry's essential C510WM12 ...

I cant see if there is any kind of seal gone on the removable filter thing at all and it doesn't seem to be a purchasable spare part...

any ideas?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All my washing machines have been fitted with a fluff filter that could be accessed from the front and cleaned out.

Reply to
jon

yes, so is this one, and of course I have. It is now I think leaking.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a look at the manual online and it looks like just about any other filter.

What about temporarily sticking sellotape, duck tape, insulating tape, etc where the filter plug meets the filter body. It should be enough to seal it for a couple of washes. If you don't get water on the floor that would suggest it's the fit between the plug and body. Maybe a tiny piece of grit preventing a perfect seal? If it still leaks, then it's something else. Hairline crack in the plug or body? Leak higher up which is running down the filter body, and so it just looks like it's the filter itself which is leaking?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

yup. I agree

It tightens up very 'hard' as if there was no rubber seal.

Good thoughts.

What should actually be in there? I had expected some kind of gauze, but there is none.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ours has very big holes on a horizontal plate. Anything smaller than a

5p would get through.
Reply to
Andy Bennet

Is that one of the Turkish reframed ones? Are you sure the water is not leaking out elsewhere and tracking down the outside of the till it falls on the floor. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes there is often an impeller inside and a turn thingy to remove to get at it and flood the floor as an added extra. These often seem to have a spring or rubber seal to seal them, but I thought he said it was not obviously coming from the seal?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Normally a kind of plastic mesh or maybe some fingers to catch the threads or fluff, there are many designs around some come out as a separate bit others are joined to the screw in cap. On mine there seems to be a synthetic rubber bit like you might see on the stopper of a hot water bottle. Its a panasonic and I've never seen it leak. I do marvel though that nobody makes the filter at a level where a bowl can be placed under it as you undo it as it always ends up flooding the floor as its unscrewed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'm not sure. I think there was a fairly coarse gauze or sieve in ours, but it wasn't removable. I'm sure bits and piece like loose buttons might be stopped by it and you just then pulled them out the front. I can't even remember if the filter plug on ours had a rubber washer, and I'm loathe to remove to check in case it starts leaking when I put it back!

On the Smeg which was left when we moved in there was a bracket which screwed down to prevent the filter plug turning and loosening slightly through vibration. Is it possible your plug might have turned a fraction and so allowed a small leak?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The answer is an oven tray.

Reply to
Davidm

Or a paint roller tray. This could go on a while :-)

Reply to
RJH

There is something whose purpose I do not understand there, and when trying to tighten it I seem to reach a hard stop.

I will have another look

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Exactly what I use. And the emptying is more controlled since our Bosch has a draining pipe with a plug.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I removed the rubber ring seal and reversed it and now it tightens up with more sponginess.

I will report back next wash. 14 days prolly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine latest one (Bosch) has an impeller rather than a filter with the effect you describe. I wonder what the practical difference is? (Previously I had a Zanussi which had a filter accessible inside the drum.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Well! I did two washes today and no leaks. It looks like the washer had been compressed too much

It also looks like standard basin drain washer might fit if it happens again...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher