warning to virgin customers

There is a very convincing phishing email around pretending to be from Virgin media payments. Most is spelled correctly and reads well. It is aimed at those who manually pay using quickpay. As I pay by direct debit it is obviously bogus. Looking at the page source its actually made better than virgins own mail as it has a plain text portion whereas bill advisories from the real virgin are in html only. The page address is not shown, hidden un under the words here.

However the headers are mostly convincing. The source appears to be in .nl, but the addresses in the source appear to look like they are routed through bt, which is a little odd, so I'm wondering quite what they have done here. Very peculiar, but the other give away is that its sent via bcc, so if it really was genuine it would only be sent to one person and no need to hide a list of recipients.

I think companies sending out the real emails to customers are going to have to up their game a bit to protect people from these scammers. I've not of course clicked that link to see if its malware or what, but its the most convincing one I've seen so far. Its only really that I do not use quickpay that alerts me to its bogusity. That is a new word I just invented.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Had a message from Zen a day or two ago, warning against phishing e-mails purporting to be from Zen.

Reply to
Graeme

How can you be sure it was from Zen? :/

After a guy from my bank phoned me up, and wanted to ask me some security questions - and it turned out really WAS from my bank - I'll disbelieve anything.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I won't answer them until they prove who they are by answering *my* questions. They were a bit stroppy the first couple of times, but it seems to be routine, now.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Vir Campestris writes

Have had this conversation recently, but perhaps that was uklm. Anyway, yes, I have had a couple of 'interesting' conversations with Barclaycard and NSI who phoned me and wanted to take me through security. They were not happy when I explained they were phoning me, and it would be me taking them through security. Utterly clueless.

Reply to
Graeme

Quite. Especially since many of these such switchboards are number withheld. If you knew it was definitely your bank calling, perhaps different.

When it happened to me, I said if it was important, write me a letter asking me to contact them. Otherwise get stuffed. They didn't bother, so it was either a phishing call or marketing of some sort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Precisely. I told the callers that, if they were who they claimed to be, they would have my postal and e-mail addresses, either of which could be used, and I would then phone them. Heard nothing more.

Reply to
Graeme

Just received one that looks like this - hovering my cursor over the link you're requested to click on reveals that it seems to be a btconnect.com address, which seems unlikely for Virgin...

Reply to
docholliday93