[Power] Offshore gas storage plant caused hundreds of mini-earthquakes across Spanish coast

Interesting.

"Spain will not reopen a giant underwater gas storage facility in the Mediterranean because of the risk that it could trigger earthquakes if it resumes operations, the government said on Wednesday"

"The government suspended the injection of gas into the Castor storage plant in the Gulf of Valencia in September 2013 just months after it started operating, following hundreds of minor earthquakes in the area"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That has implications for the schemes to store 'energy' in the form of compressed gas (natural or otherwise) underground at high pressures. If the greenies don't like fracking because it risks trivial earth tremors, they won't like that either. It may also have implications for carbon capture and storage schemes.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The Natural Philosopher used his keyboard to write :

:-))

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

harry

Where would the world be if greenies had been around during the industrial revolution? Leaving aside the pollution from burning coal, they would have objected to mining it in the first place and causing minor earth tremors

Reply to
Andy Burns

ISTR that at the time, people considered that a speed of 30 miles per hour would instantly kill the occupants of a railway train, but fortunately they hadn't invented the {Precautionary Principle. We did have the Red Flag act though.

The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

We'd still be wearing loincloths and banging rocks together. And the greenies'd be complaining about how hard it to light a fire to cook their tofu.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well there is a thing. Do I assume then that the mechanism of this problem is now understood, when I first read about this some years ago, it said engineers were mystified.

Mind you at least its not like that crackpot idea for the 60s of setting off underground nuclear bombs and then when radiation dies down filling the voided with water to irrigate the desert and numerous other similar ideas. I think they now realise that the radiation does not decay as fast as it was hoped at the time. There are however in the US lots of these underground voids still in existence not a million miles from Las Vagas.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually I think they were around back then, its just that everyone who might take any notice was looking at the pound signs and exploitation of the population. Seem familiar? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

around here there was a lot of quarrying of clay for bricks. all have been filled in and built on now. A few years ago a resident not far from here felt a rumble and her front porch and a bit of her front garden went down a hole. the side of the road went down in a dent as well. Tis as one might have expected was due to subsidence due to the collapse of part of the quarry due to water from the land. The houses it appears were built on a large raft of concrete and yet the gardens and roads were not, hence the problem. I've not been down there for a while but I understand the road is once again dropping. I do feel that we humans are not as clever as we think we are. Its either that or its just make do and mend. I suspect with the current rush to build again more of this will occur in the future as things are built on inappropriate land, from flooding to sinc holes will abound. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If only. There wouldn't be any population left to be exploited.

Reply to
Richard