Volt stick

May be handy for a few DIYers
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms8902h-ac-voltage-detector-pen/88495
if there any left (some are).
Not a match on the Fluke but for £2.44 for DIY use!
--
Adam

On Thursday, 18 February 2016 21:07:02 UTC, ARW wrote:

It's more than just a voltage detector it comes with built-in bright flash light, I don't think any fluke has that !.
On 19/02/2016 09:42, whisky-dave wrote:

Mine does. Though as it was a present I have no idea what it cost...
Andy
ARW wrote:

Thanks for that. Picked one up today and have just had a play with it. Seems dead easy for sockets, FCUs and 6242. But on some flex I had to roll it all the way round the circumference to get a positive reading; in other words, it would have been easy for someone less paranoid to get a false negative. I've no idea if that's just the sign of a cheap detector or a possible fault. Either way for ?2.44 I'm not complaining.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Even my Fluke has problems with flex! You need as you say "to roll it around". I can also suggest that you may get better results when testing flex by holding the pen in parallel with the flex when rolling it around and not holding it at 90deg to the flex. Try it and you will see.
It seems you bought the last one:-)
--
Adam

On Tuesday, 23 February 2016 20:01:20 UTC, ARW wrote:

in

or

and

I homebrewed one of those volt detectors in the 80s, it never had any probl em detecting live cable. Very simple circuit.
NT
ARW wrote:

Thanks again.

Doubt it. I bought it online half an hour after your post on Thursday but was too bloody idle to collect it sooner.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid
ARW wrote:

i bought one of these as i thought i had lost my old style Fluke http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281726080923 £1.06p works just as well and has a light
-

How the hell do they sell those things at that price, including postage? Do they really work?
--
Graeme

News wrote:

As i said mine works fine and the seller has sold over a thousand of them but how they can do it for that price including postage is beyond me ?
-

OK, thanks. At that price, I'll risk it :-)
--
Graeme

I'm gonna live dangerously. I've ordered three. ;-)
Tim

Cheap labour. Proper CE certificate?
--
Adam

On Wednesday, 24 February 2016 01:05:13 UTC, Mark wrote:

<Posting via Google Groups as the thread has expired on my machine>
Well, I ordered two 25th Feb, and they arrived this morning, six days later . Put in two AAAs and it just works. How do they do it at 1.06 including postage from China. As Mark says above, there is even a light.
When touched against a kettle lead, the end flashes red and it beeps. Same with the live area of a wall socket.
Graeme
On 2016-02-23, ARW wrote:

Any idea why flex has that effect?
The volt stick I have (from TLC) will pick up live T&E in plaster & even in a studded wall, but sometimes does what you describe there with flex.

They are something I simply don't trust. If they say volts are present, I'd take precautions. If they say they aren't, I'd still take precautions. ;-)
--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

On 2016-02-25, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I always check that it beeps on something live *after* checking it doesn't beep on what I think I've disconnected. I also usually poke the volt stick around inside the box after I open it but before I stick a screwdriver in it.
On flex you get the wires often twisted, and presumably, this can null out the field that is being detected in some circumstances. Hall effect and other types of sensor are only measuring the field changes in one place after all. I'm sure a really good one might heave more sensors to try to pick up the field.
Brian
--
----- -
On Thursday, 25 February 2016 13:45:05 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:

Presumably it doesn't work when N is close to the detector, and screening capacitive pickup from L.
NT