How to be lazy at christmas - the tree lifter

Commander Kinsey

Why do you never learn to put something descriptive on your messages before a huge long link to a vaguely described item? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Because I keep forgetting you're in here. Sorry, it's a huge platform where you can assemble your christmas tree and surrounding artifacts, then when xmas is over, you operate the electrical mechanism which hoists it all into the attic through a large hole in the ceiling.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It had lights already on it, depriving you of the pleasure of decorating it each year.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You have a point, a lot of the fun is assembling things, and making it different to last year. As a kid I liked to repair old light strings. I fascinated my mother by finding which bulb had blown (they didn't have shorting links inside) in a string of 40 lights by running a voltage detector pen along the wire.

I got lucky and the live went through the bulbs with the neutral as the return, but I could have changed the wires over in the plug if that hadn't worked.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Putting lights on a tree is incredibly tedious, they never look right. Our tree is pre-lit, via a single LED lamp.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

You are not entering the spirit of christmas. What's the point in decorations if you haven't put them there yourself?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
[snip]

At the beginning of the season, I look at pictures of last year's lights to make sure I don't do it that way.

I would do that too.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

In the fall, I see ads for companies that put Christmas lights up for you. I intend to never use such a service. If I can't put my lights up I won't have any.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Genius!

So who cleans all of the dust etc that gets on the tree in the attic?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

How hard can it be to put up lights?!

I've just fitted a string off 100 lights to a glass cabinet. I had the sense to measure things and work out how far they'd reach to get it all symmetrical.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's like paying someone to shave your face.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would your attic generate dust? There's nothing happening up there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would your attic generate dust? There's nothing happening up there.

[Posted again due to some idiot removing the crosspost]
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Just because attics aren't perfect seals like a can of beans or unopened jar of pickles. Farming methods are a lot better than a half century ago but we still have dust blowing at times here in Nebraska. Won't a good wind produce pressure on one side with a vacuum on the other? I picture it a bit like going around an enclosed semi truck trailer.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

So you have holes in your attic.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Aren't most/all attics vented?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yeah, builders think they'll be less damp by letting outside damp air in.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey