Victorian internal door knobs

What is the correct name of the usually brass or wooden circular widget that goes between the knob and the door? Plate? Rose? I've seen both terms used. Perhaps plate if wooden and rose if brass?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
News

Escutcheon?

Reply to
Huge

"rosette" has worked for me when shopping online

Reply to
Robin

In message , Tim Streater writes

Oh! I knew escutcheon was the term for the keyhole cover, but didn't realise the bit behind the knob is the same name.

Escutcheon pin? Have not heard that. Would that be the pin (or screw) that holds the knob on the spindle? Just Googled and no, the pins seem to be used to hold the escutcheon to the door. I have always used small brass screws.

Reply to
News

What clever chaps you all are :-)

Rosette seems to find more results in US than UK, but door + rosette, plate or rose gets results.

Just trying to make up sets of matching handles and associated hardware on various doors, and have a goodly stock of spindles, brass knobs, wooden knobs and even keyhole escutcheons, but not the rose part. I'll find some now.

Reply to
News

Escutcheon noun

  1. a shield or emblem bearing a coat of arms.
  2. a flat piece of metal for protection and often ornamentation, around a keyhole, door handle, or light switch.
Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

Excellent. Thank you.