Very OT: has anyone here successfully opposed a planning application for a vast industrial poultry unit?

Even that is not final, tehy have planning laws and if it complies with the laws the council can do little to stop it and they can always appeal if the council tries to stop them by putting unnecessary restrictions on them.

Most objections are ignored because they have no basis in law.

Reply to
dennis

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

There are issues with livestock housed within 400m of existing domestic dwellings.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My freehold forbids that. Dated something like 1870. Chickens OK though. Not allowed to be a tinker or peddler either. Must fight that one through the courts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A tinker is one who works with tin (cf. 'plumber') which nowadays means one who solders with RoHS compliant solder.

I suspect you've broken the terms and can expect repossession.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Fairy Nuff. Presumably that is objections from 15 individuals who may all have the same or similar objection. Rather than 15 different objections that could be froma single individual?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's why you have to read, understand and follow the local Planning Policies, any Local Plan, etc Then raise objections based around what those allow/disallow. Access, enviromental, archeological, etc.

Many of these the applicant can skip around by promising to do things to reduce/make acceptable the impact. Enviromental can be useful if there are protected species (animals or plants) on or near the site, archeological similary. The idea is to get the applicant to fork out for wildflife surveys, habitat protection, archeological surveys and/or digs etc. Pushes up the costs, makes lots of work for them, delays them getting on with what they really want to do, hopefully it becomes cheaper/easier for them to give up and try somewhere else...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

More that they don't actually have any powers worth speaking of. Ours spends about £1000 annually most of which goes on administration to audit their spending! What's left pays for grass cutting and salt bins.

Not noticeably. Planning is a district council or county council game depending on how large scale the development is. Our PC objections and support were ignored more often than not. One thing has changed recently

- daft planning applications that have previously failed multiple times on what I thought were watertight refusals (lack of sewerage/water/phone utility capacity) are now being approved. Two in build at the moment. The sewerage problem could be very interesting - there has already been one big stink incident before they added the extra houses.

Finding out how the proposal will affect traffic flow and the environment are the most obvious lines of attack. A pond with great crested newts in is a show stopper for all but the most determined developers.

It is a numbers game. The more objections made with valid planning objections the less likely the thing is to get built. Even then and with a hefty well funded campaign success is not guaranteed eg.

(I wasn't involved in that one)

Reply to
Martin Brown

They should. The LPA has a statutory obligation to take note of the comments of a Parish Council. How the LPA interprets that obligation can vary, but often the Parish can make the application got to committee.

No. The LPA might normally be the District Council. Some areas don't have a district council. The County Council might deal with different aspects of planning - traffic or waste for instance, but it is not a question of scale.

One of the weaknesses of the system is that planning just doesn't look at those matters. You can get permission to build the unbuildable, then start negotiating with Building Control after the fact.

No. One thing planning is not is a numbers game. One of the principles of planning is that decisions are made on valid planning grounds, by looking at the law and at policies. It just doesn't matter how many signatures you get, the planning officer is obliged to bin your petition.

[...] TW
Reply to
TimW

A PC with only a £1000 precept per year? Our is £48,620 (2019-2020), same as last year.

About 1/3 of ours pays for the Clerk and Town Hall Manager.

Doesn't grass cutting (I assume you mean road verges) and salt bins come under highways and thus the county council, they certainly do here. The other 2/3rds ish of the parish precept is grants to about a dozen local community groups, community run public loos in the two villages, community snowplough, archives, newsletter, christmas lights, fireshow and devolved public loos in town and devolved footway lights.

I was thinking newts when I mentioned protected species earlier, bats are another show stopper. Check for rare plants as well, orchids?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not in North Yorkshire it doesn't. You want salt on your dangerous bends then the parish council has to buy it in from NYCC take or pay. Verge grass cutting on some roads is central council but local paths are not.

It must be a decade or so since NYCC started playing hardball over winter salt and ploughing. Some of our roads only get ploughed & salted because a guy who drives a snowplough lives at the end of one of them.

Hell will freeze over before they come out and mend deep potholes.

(snip taken from a previous post of mine analysing parish precepts)

Taking North Yorkshire Hambleton as a concrete example the distribution of Parish precepts is such that very few can afford play equipment. Mainly they are looking at closing libraries and rural bus services.

The median parish budget is a shade under £4k pa with about 20% under £1k. The latter barely pays for filling the salt bins, room hire and insurance. More is spent on auditing tiny parishes than on the parish!

10% have budgets above £10k (including paying for a Parish clerk!).

Only 3 towns have budgets exceeding £100k.

This pattern is replicated across most rural districts.

Interestingly the online version of this information and all historical copies for previous years has vanished off the net. Google still has index links to the right places but they now fail "Not found".

Orchids are in season from about now for the next couple of months so worth looking out for any flowers.

Reply to
Martin Brown

our precept was £63,000 two years ago, I think it's nearer £80,000 this year. We have 1150 dwellins=gs.

Reply to
charles

Because they will assess the application according to planning law & be acutely aware of not overstepping their remit by basing anything on such emotional side issues & opening themselves to accusations of bias.

Reply to
Jim K..

So write individually?

Reply to