Very OT: has anyone here successfully opposed a planning application for a vast industrial poultry unit?

Yep, far better to find the local planning policies and read through all of them and base your objections on the areas that are close to breaking/bending those policies. Planning policy documents are not little things and are interwined with any "Local Plan" and what given areas are defined as and what is "pemitted development" within those areas.

Like increased level of HGV traffic, chicks in, chickens out, feed in, waste out, increased noise and increased pollution from this traffic, damage to property from vibration, suitabilty of the local roads, access to the site during construction and once in operation, odour from the site, visual impact, etc.

The "emotional" chicken welfare stuff will be simply countered by the operators saying the place will be run to the latest standards required. Planning can't impose anything more than that.

It can be done but it'll take over two or three peoples lives for a year or three. Organise a local petition to the Planning Authority, Write to your MP, write to your Parish, District and County coucilors, encourage others to write as well. Try not to use "form letter", 50 individual letters carry more weight than 50 form letters. Perhaps have a "menu" of objections that people can choose from to express in their own words.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A Parish Council doesn't have a veto but the planning authority will "take note" of objections and conditions coming from the Parish Council. the Parish Council objecting adds more weight to a strong lobby of objections from individuals or action groups, provided such objections are targeting things planning have control of.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

technically irrelevant. Planning applications aren't decided by popularvote or numbers of objections. Petitions go in the bin. You need to argue your case properly with reference to plannig law and policies.

many are useless. But some are good

The Local Planning Authority has a statutory obligation to heed the comments of the Parish Council. Normally this means that the Parish Council have the power (indirectly) to send the application for scrutiny by committee at the District Council. But you knew that.

TW

Reply to
TimW

This is mainly wrong, Dave. TW

Reply to
TimW

Wrong i think.

The application is looked at by the planning officer who decides if it is in line with planning policies. Normally if the Parish or Town Council doesn't take a different view then that's the decision reached, referred to as 'Delegated'. Nothing to do with numbers of public objections.

The objections aren't put to the applicant to answer.

TW

Reply to
TimW

That's a target for un-opposed applications, once a load of objections come in things slow down. Objections ideally need to be phrased so as to get planning to ask questions about how the applicant intends to mitigate the objection. The answer can then be queried and the answer to that answer and so on... At the same time keeping an eye open for contradictions or knock on effects.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Planning. I

Don't think I said otherwise. The PC objecting along with other individuals and action groups just adds to the total weight of objection(s).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Another Dave

That is much the fault of the parishioners themselves for not putting themselves or supporting someone else from a different background when the vacancies come up. Being a Parish councillor is one of those tasks that will see you inevitably fall out with someone who thinks they have powers beyond what they actually have or do not support someones ideas because for example ?You went to school with me, I thought you were my mate?. Many Parish Councils actually struggle to get vacancies filled so the same people go around again till they get fed up, yet the the people who are to be heard saying ?bloody useless tossers on the council ? never want to do it themselves.

To be honest I think our whole government system from Parish to Westminster is going the way it is because although there have been misdeeds such as excessive and inappropriate expenses the hoops that now have to be jumped through to ensure you are never accused of doing anything that offends someone else means it just isn?t worth it. So people who would have been good decision makers and statesmen/women don?t bother and we are left with publicity seeking career politicians whose interest in being there is driven by personal dogma and furthering their interests as much as they can legally can rather than be there for the good of the country. Those interests whatever route they take usually end up involve moving funds from the bank accounts and earnings of those they are supposed to represent into those they are chums or do business with with eventually some overspill into their own down the line.

GH

Reply to
Marland

It was just to emphasise that if anyone can help you it will be CPRE. That's what they are there for. It's their raison d'etre.

TW

Reply to
TimW

[...] Don't get me started on Parish Councils! Many are truly awful! I don't blame the complacent electorate, bad parish councils do as little as possible and report as little as possible back to the public. No wonder nobody is inspired to join them. They also deliberately discourage democracy and elections. Two days to go to register your nomination papers as a candidate on Wednesday and the Parish Council here has kept it as quiet as possible. Much more convenient for them to have a casual vacancy and invite their next mate to serve. TW
Reply to
TimW

Quite right, bearing in mind the expertise of the typical parish/town council. Public opinion still has a veto on plans through the planning authority's elected members/ planning committee.

Reply to
mechanic

Complacnet electorate and/or electorate that is ignorant of the role the Parsish Council fullfills in local government is most of the problem.

Meeting dates. Agenda's. draft and approved Minutes from our PC are all available online, Meeting dates/Agendas placed on the Parish Noticeboards and posted/shared across social media. Yet most of the electorate still complain they don't know. What they really mean is they can't be arsed to get of their arse and look. It's not exactly difficult to pause at a Parish Noticeboard or check a bookmark once or twice a month.

Public attendance at meetings is generally abysmal, 2 or 3 at the most (one of which is me).

Sounds like the "... yet the the people who are to be heard saying â bloody useless tossers on the council â never want to do it themselves." cap fits quite well to your head.

Your not happy, do something about it. Why haven't you publicised the forthcoming election? Why haven't you stood for election?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd agree with that, no planning violations or objections, rubber stamped by a planning officer after being seen via the PC.

Pretty sure any objection pushes the application to at least a planning sub-comittee. Lots of objections and/or contentious may well push it to full council.

Badly worded. If an application is not approved the reasons for that are given in the rejection. The applicant has the option to resubmit with changes to "answer" the reasons for the rejection. The "answers" in the resubmitted application can then be objected to if not satisfactory.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doesn't happen here. They need 15 objectors to do that - and we are counted as 1.

Reply to
charles

Here, "delegated powers" are pulled back if there are 15 objections - Then it's looked at by the Planning Committee. The Applicant can, at that stage, argue against the objections.

They can be - and often are,

Reply to
charles

But, only if the objections are valid planning ones. So many aren't.

Reply to
charles

Not so sure of that. Yes, it's the theory, but a Planning Committe can be filled with the 'right' people. You just need to read Private Eye's "Rotten Boroughs". Our Borough Council featured there a few years v ago, and it hasn'rt changed much since.

Reply to
charles

Here it needs 15 objections to go to the Planning Committee.

Reply to
charles

I pass a large chicken shed regulatly while out cycling. The pong can be atrocious and not something I would want to live beside

Reply to
billyorange007

Many years ago, I saw a planning application from for County Durham. It asked where you intended to keep pigs.

Reply to
charles