Full Planning Application - how to object?

I've just received a letter from Surrey Heath Borough Council notifying me that a neighbouring property (facing us directly across the road) that's just been sold, is the subject of a Full Planning Application.

The developer wants to erect a three storey house, and a double garage with habitable accommodation above it, to replace an existing chalet bungalow and a single storey garage. (I haven't seen the details yet - council offices don't open till 2 January(!) - but I suspect that some large mature trees will require to be removed - without TPOs I believe).

This is in a rural area consisting of around 20 chalet bungalows (of which ours is one) built in the 1950s and '60s.; none of which exceed 5m in height. We are also in the Thames Basin Special Protection Area, which means that there are restrictions on the number of dwellings allowed.

So...I intend to write to the Council objecting to the application (following the procedure outlined in their letter).

I'd be very interested in any advice/experiences you can offer, especially about how best to object and any sources of useful information I can access on the web or elsewhere.

Many thanks

Reply to
Roy Hammond

One would be to contact the tree conservation officer at Surrey Heath and try to have TPO's applied to the trees. This would need to be done ASAP as the developers may remove the trees before Surrey Heath can act.

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Firstly, have a look at your council website - most of them now have the plans scanned in on-line so you can look at the detail and possibly print them out.

Secondly, the council website will almost certainly have guidance on how to object, etc.

Thirdly, look at the issues (as impartially as you can) to see what it would be reasonable to object on - e.g. higher than neighbouring properties, out of keeping with the area, further forward than the building line, inadequate parking, loss of trees, etc.)

Fourthly, look for the agendas and minutes of recent planning meetings - again they should be on-line and get a feel for what the advice of the planning officers is (i.e. what things they are hot on and what they think is a minor issue). Also look at what the planning committee have decided, particularly where they have gone against the officers.

Fifth, see if your council webcasts the planning meetings - ours does - and it is worth getting a feel for the debates.

Good luck.

In article , Roy Hammond writes

Reply to
John

Sadly, developers tend to ignore the TPOs as they make enough money to pay the resultant fines, unlike the general public, perhaps the answer is to greatly increase the fines for companies or send them to jail!

Reply to
Broadback

Thanks for your advice. All of which I'll try to follow - I particularly like your reference to being impartial.

One problem: Surrey Heath is recorded as the second worst planning authority in this country this year! They've been taking ages to deal with applications; consequently some time-expire and go through by default; and others are dealt without going through the planning committee process - for expediency the case officer decides... Also...no plans on-line, and no webcasts. But the agendas and minutes are there - or at least some of them...

Recognising the past incompetency of the local council, I'm keen to make as an effective objection as I can. Hence my request to this group. Any more advice, anybody?

Cheers [And a Happy New Year to all]

Reply to
Roy Hammond

It's worth buying a couple of hours of time from a planning consultant. These are people - often ex-planning officers - who know the system inside out and can give good advice whichever side of the fence you're on. I recently employed one to help me get a planning application accepted - but they can also advise on how to object most effectively. You'll probably find some in Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sorry you have such a poor council - that makes it harder.

Three more thoughts, firstly try and get your neighbours to form a resident's group and object both singly and as a group - if it gets to committee both the group and an individual are often allowed to speak - two voices!

Secondly, get your local councillor wound up about it - they can call for any item which is not going to go to the planning committee to be debated - you need to butter them up!

Third, when you write your letter of objection, make clear the issues on which you object - use headings with simple statements like "Overbearing" - and if you think it is likely to be approved, add sentences like "if this application were to be approved, we would request that the following conditions are considered...". If you think they will get some form of permission then you might as well try and make sure that any particular issues are addressed and the conditions can, I believe, include restrictions on future use of the permitted development right to add dormers, extend, etc.

John

In article , Roy Hammond writes

Reply to
John

Spookly enough that 'Big Brother' internet thingy might be your friend ....

A few moments googling 'Surrey Heath' & 'full planning application' revealed that 'Surrey Heath' local government has a website which includes, but is not limited to, details of the plannig applications submitted to the council. You, of course, have the plannig application reference number cited on your letter - I had to guess from your description but I found a application that seeemed similar. 'Clicking' on the reference led to a tabbed precis of the application including the address -and those of neighbours- clicking on the tab 'documents' lead to a page of details; selecting one of these details .... voila! A set of plans each an individual .pdf ... ! I haven't cited the reference, not the street name .... but if you need it, ask. BTW; 'planning applications are not 'detailed' - that's the process of building regulation approval- but they mainly consider the outward appearance - and internal layout - of the proposed building(s).

Yonks ago; a 'neighbour' wanted to demolish a single bungalow set in a large garden and place a multi-storey collection of 'households' on the site. 'We' neighbours raised objections, mainly predicated on the increase of traffic to.from the development. The planning officer hadn't considered this aspect and eventually 'we' uncovered that no traffic census had been taken for umpty-ump years! In other words, find something concrete to challenge (perhaps it's the trees) ... and get all you neighbours to raise objections - not just yourself.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Not actually true. Most councils have scheme of delegation to deal with minor, and non contentious, planning applications. These get dealt with my the planning officers rather than the planning committee. The delegation scheme will set out the rules and you can inspect it. If an application is not dealt with in the statutory 56 days it does not, repeat, not, go through by default. At that point the applicant can lodge an appeal on the grounds of non determination. In fact few do this because the appeal process takes at least six months. As other have said it is worth seeing if a TPO is appropriate and an interim TPO can be issued immediately. This then goes through the normal process to establish if it should become permanent. Contrary to what others have said breaching a TPO is a criminal offence with an unlimited fine as a penalty. In any case a replacement tree might well have to be planted. In fact a TPO is one of the most effective means of cvontrolling developement though it is often not used as well as it can be. As for the best means of objecting you need to go and inspect the plans and also learn something about the planning process. Many objections are made on grounds that are not relevant. Avoid petitions and identical letters sent by different people as they carry little weight.

The applications including plans are on the councils website. All you have to do is follow the links!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

It's quite normal for some planning applications to be dealt with by the planning officers, using their delegated authority, in cases which are straightforward and non-contentious. I don't have a problem with that. However, AIUI, if valid objections have been lodged, it *has* to go to the full committee. So you need to object formally within the prescribed timescale, and you need to make sure that your reasons for objecting are valid - because not all reasons are, and your objection will be disregarded if invalid. That is one reason why I suggested getting advice from a planning consultant.

I would have thought that, in your particular case, you had grounds for objecting on the basis that the proposed development is totally out of keeping with the other properties in the road, having a detrimental effect on what the planners refer to as the "street scene".

Reply to
Roger Mills

My sincerest thanks to you all - Roger, John, Brian, and Peter.

I feel particularly annoyed with myself. I thought I'd explored the council's website pretty thoroughly looking precisely for the full planning application documentation - I'd failed! But now I have it, thanks. It's a pity that the council's letter doesn't refer to the information being on their website - it just says that it's available for inspection at their offices (not until next Tuesday...).

I'm much better armed to respond now. Thanks again.

Reply to
Roy Hammond

Roy, Just two things -

  1. Get as many local residents as possible to object.
  2. Point out to the council that the estate is comprised of solely chalet bungalows - any other development would materially affect the appearance of the area to its detriment.

That's all you need to get the application overturned - I think I've really repeated what you've already been told, but it can work - I've done it in a case of where an application was put in to increase the size of a dormer on a bungalow to such a size that it would have become a 2 story house. I composed the letter of objection for my sister - a few others objected (to the development, not my letter!!)and the development was not allowed by borough of Castlepoint in Essex.

Good luck Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

"Hugh" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

What I would add is NOT to present a petition ! I was once told by a Planning Officer that petitions are not well received - much more preferable are individual letters from affected nearby householders - and the letters should not be identical.

Terry W.

Reply to
Terry W.

It's always worth read "The Guidelines amplify the guidance in Policy H18 of the Surrey Heath Local Plan 2000 which sets out criteria on the how the layout and design of planning applications for one or more residential units will be considered by the Council.

The Guidelines cover 3 broad themes:

=B7 The character and quality of the street scene. =B7 Impact on neighbours and residents. =B7 Specific planning factors such as landscape features and nature conservation."

can be downloaded at:

kevallsop

You've already had quite a lot of useful advice from others.

Take a look at Surrey Heath's Local Plan, it's available on line on their web site, under planning policy, I think. It's the very best starting place for raising an objection. Been there, done that, and succeeded.

There's a lot of reading, and not all of it will be relevant to you. The Local Plan details their policy on all sorts of issues, from housing, transport, employment areas, conservation, etc. Persevere, however, because if you are going to object, try and use things which may be contrary to the local plan. There may well be a chapter relevant to your parish.

Are the roads adequate? Is schooling adequate? Have they taken a stance to preserve the nature of your locality? Do they actually mention trees in your locality?

It ain't easy, but you will have the greatest possibility of success if you can relate your objection to their stated policies in the Local Plan, IYSWIM.

As others have said, planning apps with your LA are available on line, so you may not need to wait until the office is open.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Care to post the application number? It might help to see what were the weak points?

Reply to
Peter Crosland