Very OT: has anyone here successfully opposed a planning application for a vast industrial poultry unit?

Subject says it all - I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences. Apologies for introducing an OT topic, consider it a form of planning policy DIY ;-)
On 29/03/2019 22:25, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

No, but we stopped a windfarm
We fought very very dirty, as the company doing it was a household name, and we ridculed them and dug up every ounce of dirt on them we could, and watched the hits coming in from their PR firm...eventually they decided 'there wasnt enough wind' and gave up.
Read up on planning law: Industrial style development in rural areas is a bit of a nono.

Can’t read it all. Too long for some newsreaders.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

You need support from other people nearby affected. In most of the successes I've heard of a single voice in the wilderness gets nowhere unless its a no brainer like severe noise, smell traffic at anti social hours etc. Brian
--
----- --
On 29/03/2019 22:25, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

Yes. My advice is to talk to the planners and try to get them on your side. The council will nearly always go with the planners' decision because otherwise they may be liable if their decision is overturned. Invite the planners round to see for themselves from your side.
Speak to you local councillors, and if they're not on the planning committee, speak to a councillor who is. These people, like all of us, like to be appreciated so be polite and respectful. Invite them round to see the problem.
Objections from far and wide (your aunt Daisy in Barnsley) don't count for anything, objections from people nearby do.
Some people will tell you that the planners only need a single page or less and that objections should only be relevant to planning considerations. We asked the planners if that was true and they told us that they'd read whatever we wrote and it was their job to filter out the relevant bits, which helped enormously. Use a little deadpan humour in the text - refer to the proposed unsightly erection. Include photographs, descriptions of the bird life, trees whatever but don't expect that everybody will read everything.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 30/03/2019 11:01, Clive Arthur wrote:

This wasn't a poultry unit of course.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 30/03/2019 12:58, Clive Arthur wrote:

I didn't think that poultry had "unsightly erections" ;-)
On 29/03/2019 22:25, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

We stopped a wind turbine and and, separately, a solar farm. Our aim was to get as many objections as possible and appear at the planning committee's meetings.
People are reluctant to make up objections so we wrote half a dozen sample letters/website texts together with lists of valid objections and put them on a website. In addition we put ads in all the local pubs and shops quoting the website and facebook page. We also wrote some draft articles for the local press.
All this takes organisation so you need to form a committee of half a dozen like-minded people. You may be able to get some funds from the parish council budget but you don't need to spend much.
We managed to get 620 objections to the turbine which is a huge number - you don't need as many as that. The application was withdrawn at the last minute.
When the solar farm was mooted we reformed the committee and made the applicants aware of the turbine outcome. They withdrew at an early stage.
Don't expect too much help from the parish council; they're all local landowners and stand to profit from any developments allowed through.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Sadly, Parish Councils don't have any powers in regard to Planning. I write as a Parish Council Chairman.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Except to object. I think PC objections get a bit more mileage.
--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

not here they don't. We get treated as ONE objection- not even 9 which is our council membership..
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Parish Councils commonly have a planning committee who review upcoming applications. Recommendations are passed to the PC who then forward their views to Planning. What weight is given is unknown but they seem to be able to *call in* applications such that they are considered by the full planning committee rather than an officers decision. This allows an opportunity for a short presentation by concerned neighbours etc.
There have been cases where *industrial* poultry housing has been refused. A search should turn up something.

--
Tim Lamb

On 30/03/2019 19:02, Tim Streater wrote:

More that they don't actually have any powers worth speaking of. Ours spends about £1000 annually most of which goes on administration to audit their spending! What's left pays for grass cutting and salt bins.

Not noticeably. Planning is a district council or county council game depending on how large scale the development is. Our PC objections and support were ignored more often than not. One thing has changed recently - daft planning applications that have previously failed multiple times on what I thought were watertight refusals (lack of sewerage/water/phone utility capacity) are now being approved. Two in build at the moment. The sewerage problem could be very interesting - there has already been one big stink incident before they added the extra houses.
Finding out how the proposal will affect traffic flow and the environment are the most obvious lines of attack. A pond with great crested newts in is a show stopper for all but the most determined developers.
It is a numbers game. The more objections made with valid planning objections the less likely the thing is to get built. Even then and with a hefty well funded campaign success is not guaranteed eg.
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/9994916.allerton-park-incinerator-likely-to-get-go-ahead/
(I wasn't involved in that one)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 02/04/2019 13:38, Martin Brown wrote:

They should. The LPA has a statutory obligation to take note of the comments of a Parish Council. How the LPA interprets that obligation can vary, but often the Parish can make the application got to committee.

No. The LPA might normally be the District Council. Some areas don't have a district council. The County Council might deal with different aspects of planning - traffic or waste for instance, but it is not a question of scale.

One of the weaknesses of the system is that planning just doesn't look at those matters. You can get permission to build the unbuildable, then start negotiating with Building Control after the fact.

No. One thing planning is not is a numbers game. One of the principles of planning is that decisions are made on valid planning grounds, by looking at the law and at policies. It just doesn't matter how many signatures you get, the planning officer is obliged to bin your petition.
[...] TW
On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 13:38:34 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

A PC with only a £1000 precept per year? Our is £48,620 (2019-2020),
same as last year.

About 1/3 of ours pays for the Clerk and Town Hall Manager.

Doesn't grass cutting (I assume you mean road verges) and salt bins come under highways and thus the county council, they certainly do here. The other 2/3rds ish of the parish precept is grants to about a dozen local community groups, community run public loos in the two villages, community snowplough, archives, newsletter, christmas lights, fireshow and devolved public loos in town and devolved footway lights.

I was thinking newts when I mentioned protected species earlier, bats are another show stopper. Check for rare plants as well, orchids?
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 02/04/2019 18:57, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Not in North Yorkshire it doesn't. You want salt on your dangerous bends then the parish council has to buy it in from NYCC take or pay. Verge grass cutting on some roads is central council but local paths are not.
It must be a decade or so since NYCC started playing hardball over winter salt and ploughing. Some of our roads only get ploughed & salted because a guy who drives a snowplough lives at the end of one of them.
Hell will freeze over before they come out and mend deep potholes.

(snip taken from a previous post of mine analysing parish precepts)
Taking North Yorkshire Hambleton as a concrete example the distribution of Parish precepts is such that very few can afford play equipment. Mainly they are looking at closing libraries and rural bus services.
The median parish budget is a shade under £4k pa with about 20% under £1k. The latter barely pays for filling the salt bins, room hire and insurance. More is spent on auditing tiny parishes than on the parish!
10% have budgets above £10k (including paying for a Parish clerk!).
Only 3 towns have budgets exceeding £100k.
This pattern is replicated across most rural districts.
Interestingly the online version of this information and all historical copies for previous years has vanished off the net. Google still has index links to the right places but they now fail "Not found".

Orchids are in season from about now for the next couple of months so worth looking out for any flowers.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

our precept was £63,000 two years ago, I think it's nearer £80,000 this year. We have 1150 dwellins=gs.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 18:40:28 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

A Parish Council doesn't have a veto but the planning authority will "take note" of objections and conditions coming from the Parish Council. the Parish Council objecting adds more weight to a strong lobby of objections from individuals or action groups, provided such objections are targeting things planning have control of.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Not round here it doesn't. We are treated as a single objector.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 21:40:49 +0100, charles wrote:

Planning. I

will

such

Don't think I said otherwise. The PC objecting along with other individuals and action groups just adds to the total weight of objection(s).
--
Cheers
Dave.