Very large item delivery service

I'm selling a 1000 litre plastic heating oil tank. It will be empty, but I have no idea how much the empty tank weighs but some other models are

75-100kg.

Assuming the tank is clear of oil residue, anyone know what kind of service who can transport something like this? It's clearly not a parcel, nor is it a typical house move item. It might need some assistance getting it into the van (forklift or similar).

I see places that sell new oil tanks have an easy delivery service, so how to find a similar delivery service?

Any suggestions?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

In general its not a courier service but a door to door service. I've had heavy stuff delivered like that. Needs a man in a van with a tail lift and at least a sack barrow

Expect to pay £60-100 for the privilege.

Surely an online search would fine a suitable firm?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not just the weight, it's the volume. It's 2m long x 1.5m high x 0.7m wide, and I'm not sure if it's robust enough to support its own weight from underneath unless sitting on a flat surface - it has lift points which are presumably designed for crane-ing in. I don't know how they move them when delivering - forklift maybe.

I might see if I can shift it with a sack barrow, but it might not be a good idea.

It won't fit on a regular pallet unless it's allowed to overhang massively, so I doubt a pallet shipper would take it.

Random bloke with a Luton to take it down the road, easy. Nationwide network for oversize non-pallet items - what do I search for? This is not a house removals situation where I'm filling an entire van with stuff.

There is AnyVan, Shiply, etc. On Anyvan I haven't managed to find an option that will allow me to ask for a quote for something like this - it's mostly for house moves etc. Shiply just puts you in touch with some shady characters who claim to have transport and washes their hands if you have problems.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

On 19/11/2021 20:02, Theo wrote: ....

I would try machinery removal firms. The ones I used to move an entire factory have long retired, but they happily tackled large machine tools, which probably presented a greater (and certainly heavier) problem. Not so much two men and a van as two very large men with a flatbed lorry and a Hiab.

Reply to
nightjar

Only a complete idiot would buy one second hand. They degrade sufficiently with time and exposure to sunlight not to be trusted.

There is one born every minute.

Reply to
Martin Brown

This one is almost new.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

palletline

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hire a van with a tail lift. I think it would fit sideways on the tail lift. A normal car driving licence should be adequate.

Reply to
Michael Chare

It's tempting fate, but you could try ebay and buyer collects. Add some huge caveats to the description in the distant hope that they know what they're letting themselves in for.

Reply to
RJH

Richard

or palletONline, up to 1.2mx1mx1m under 500kg, by taillift truck with a pallet truck, £52 for a 60 mile journey in the midlands

Andy Burns

It's 2m long x 0.7m wide x 1.5m high. Which is why I'm dubious a pallet service will take it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Truck with a hydraulic crane.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

*two* pallets should fix it

IIRC mine came on a set of wooden chocks on a crane truck. Empty, they aren't that heavy.

might point you in the right direction

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, now I look at that again I see their definition of 'oversized' does cover my load. And it costs £126 to go 170 miles, so that looks like a feasible option if strapped onto a pallet.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I did notice that, the question being, is a second-hand IBC worth paying that much for delivery on top of what you hope to sell it for, when you can buy a "normal" 1000l cube type for about that price, delivered ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's not an IBC, it's a heating oil tank. New price £1200.

Theo

Reply to
Theo