Very large Dendrobium flower

On a recent trip to Okinawa I came across a flower seller in Hiwadori shopping area who was selling cut Dendrobium flower spikes, white with a pink blush & a touch of yellow in the throat. . What caught my eye was the size. They where slightly more than 2.5 inches across (used a dollar bill for measurement) and they had good substance. I have not seen standard Dendrobiums with flowers this size.

So if anyone has seen Dendrobiums with same size flowers I would like to put its name on my want list.

Also I looked around at places selling plants but no luck finding a similar flower. However if you like noids of Phal. Onc. & Den. this is a buyers paradise. Large plants (4 to 6 growths) with multiple spikes (den & Onc) and blooming Phals all at between 398 yen and 498 yen. That's about $3.37 to $4.29. However bringing them back could get very expensive.

Grow well and bloom magnificently

Dusty

Reply to
Dusty

Dusty,

Was the Dendrobium you saw a long spike of flowers or were they close to the stem?

Den. is one of the nigrohirusute/formosum group of plants produce very large 3+ inches at the top of their cane. Some of them look like small cattelyas. Generally I don't recall them having a long spike of flowers though. They are usually borne 1 or 2 flowes on a short spike.

Good Growing, Gene

Reply to
Gene Schurg

Den Judith Nakayama (Dawn Maree x Formidible) is what your description reminded me of.

am always surprised at the size of the flower compared to the plant size. I have seen other closely related ones that were not pure white and of similar size.

Each is 1/2 formosum - Dawn Maree is 1/2 cruentum while Formidible is

1/2 infundibulum.

Hope that helps you track down something interesting. Sounds like delightful shopping - even if it is only window shopping.

SuE

Susan Erickson