Very large DIY finished at last

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers. Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts, tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:

two controllers took me several months to fix up and reassemble:
did all the wooden bits! I made a number of mechanical parts that were missing. I've been posting about those for a while. Thanks for the positive suggestions.

Parts carved out of blocks of steel:

brass:

Matty F

Does

qualify as a DIY project?

Reply to
1501

Does

qualify as a very large DIY project?

Reply to
1501

Yes of course. I'm trying to stay away from steam engines (because I have enough interests already) but we do have one, because it's a tram, which is being reconditioned at the moment

Matty F

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

It's in Auckland NZ. The last tram set a standard that we now have to maintain. But no problem. If the labour is free, it doesn't really matter how long it takes to finish them.

Reply to
Matty F

A thing of beauty to be sure

Reply to
stuart noble

A very fine piece of work.

Railway equipment of that vintage can at least be resurrected by means that enthusiasts can master.

Just imagine trying to get all the electronics and software in some present day stock to work in 60 years time ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F saying something like:

You'll all be able to design and build one from scratch now, surely?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

JOOI what sort of volts does that run off, and what sort of current would it pull under normal use?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I think we could make most parts, except for the motors. The wheels and axles wear out and need to be replaced sometimes, and they are made in NZ by a commercial firm. Our lathe isn't big enough!

600 volts DC, and it was using about 60 amps to accelerate on the flat.
Reply to
Matty F

We are likely to be over towards the end of this year or start of next and wouldn't mind a look round some old trams :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It's already apparent with the high-voltage EMU stock. I.e. overhead-line powered trains aren't suitable for enthusiasts, and so conversion to battery operation has to take place. Which severely limits the practicality. I think even third rail is somewhat of a no-no for heritage running - so even things like the old Southern Electrics would need battery power for running.

Reply to
John Whitworth

It looks stunning. Bring it over to the UK! ;-)

Reply to
John Whitworth

Is that still available in NZ? If it is, what uses it now? Wife was out there about 2 years ago, but I don't remember her mentioning trams on either island.

Dave

Reply to
dave

This is think MOTAT, and the tram #47.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Just keep posting here, your posts are inspirational and innovative.

Dave

Reply to
dave

We have something similar-ish -

brass monkey

at Crich - they may even be interested in your collection

Reply to
John Weston

Matty F wibbled on Tuesday 13 July 2010 14:17

Your machinework is of course excellent - but who did the paint work? I'm looking at the detail trim lines (yellow or gold) - it looks fantastic. The whole thing is a major excercise in beauty :)

Curious there - does that mean that someone with a short metal pole (eg umbrella - not unlikely in the rain up top if the bottom is full) could get onto the wire overhead?

Is the bodywork earthed or insulated from earth?

Not with respect to your tram, but just wondered if in their original deployment people had ever zapped themselves?...

Reply to
Tim Watts