At last

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find out how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from Germany.

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't answer without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

So an item costing £280 then, over the new aligned VAT and duty thresholds, is there duty to pay as well as VAT, or is that 0% on this item?

A little more than royal mail charge then ... £8

That was for £17 of VAT (no duty) on an import from USA over a year ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Presumably the seller shipped it without charging VAT?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I am surprised they shipped it at all. Most europeans seem to believe that it is not possible to ship stuff to the UK at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know who you're talking to, but after a couple of weeks of getting to understand the new rules all the suppliers I have come across seem to be shipping to the UK without problems.

Reply to
Chris Green

As they should, since it's over the £135 limit

Reply to
Andy Burns

fenestrating

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Items imported from the EU are charged at the selling countries VAT rate on items up to £135 in value including delivery charges. Above that its zero rated at source then UK VAT is charged by the courier on delivery.

Depending on country of origin varying levels of duty are also added on delivery.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Shouldn't be. The overseas seller should not charge any VAT from their own country, they should register for UK VAT, charge you that, complete a UK VAT return and remit the amount to HMRC.

That's correct for B2C, not sure if it is for B2B when you supply them with a VAT number.

And depending what the item is.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Parcelfarce charged me £12 on an item from the US where the VAT was £29.

Reply to
mm0fmf

That's their standard "admin fee"

Reply to
charles

And VAT on items below £135 is sales VAT; above £135 it is import VAT.

I have no idea if those two rates could ever be different - though currently they are the same on standard rated goods.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google