SMS messaging

One for the cognoscenti...

Now that the 21st. century is well established I have down graded to a gifted Alcatel *one touch* mobile phone! My grandchildren sport the latest i phones but this does all I need and has a good battery performance.

However, I have managed to corrupt the contact number for sending/replying to SMS messages. A *factory reset* has not fixed this.

I don't have a manual and the one offered on-line does not help.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Who is your service provider? Most have the required api settings available on line for you to manually enter.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What number do you refer to?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I was always under the impression that the number you send to is the number you would call. It always was that on my old Nokia and on the Iphone and owasys in between, if anything else goes on in between the customer should not be able to change it, its part of the sim. I note with interest that the old 2g systems are being turned off soon, although soon has been being said for a couple of years now, so older dumb phones will, one day not work just as the old analogue ones all were killed when they went gsm. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

You have to insert a number for the messaging centre. Once and for all, usually.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Vodafone! api settings? Display of ignorance level:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Where did you here 2G was being turned off? It is still widely used by, for example, trackers and similar simple systems using the mobile phone network. Some networks ?sell? some of their SIM deals on the basis they still offer 2G.

Thank you.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If it?s not a smart phone it probably doesn?t have api settings. ;-)

This might help.

How do I set up text messages? Share this answer Text messaging should be ready to go as soon as your phone's connected. If it doesn't work straight away, there are two settings to check:

Message centre number - +447785016005 Message format - this should be set to text You can test it by sending a text to 9770. We'll text you back if it's working.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Get a proper smartphone like an iPhone ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Hooray!

Fixed.

Thanks Tim and others who showed interest:-)

By some magic I had deleted the 5 from the message centre number!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Smart iPhone is an oxymoron

Reply to
Fredxx

If it makes you feel any better, I went into my cheapo Nokia?s message settings to look at the message centre number. Whilst trying to exit the menu I ended up deleting the number instead. Took me a few moments to workout how to exit without saving. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My wife has a family cast off and expects me to be able to help her use it! I have to admit it did once help us by providing a route from Dulwich station to a pub where a family celebration was in progress. Most of the apps. are wasted on us geriatrics.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

From the user point of view yes.

All texts go via your service providers message centre, this has a number that varies by service provider and occasionally tarrif from a given SP. It's normally set by the SP when you register the SIM but can be chnaged manually

I saw a recent article, possibly on The Register.

Aye, the networks proposing to shut down 2G (to free up the spectrum for 4G etc) has put a cat or three amongst the pigeons. What do Smart Meters use in the southern half(*) of the country? I know it's one of the mobile networks but not sure which one or wich technology.

(*) The northern half uses something else operated by Arqiva.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I confess to be a little anti-iPhone and Apple, for the way you are tied into their business model where anything to do with Apple is quadruple the cost when compared to an Android phone. In short a rip-off.

The corollary to my argument is that most things work seamlessly apart from their battery scam.

Reply to
Fredxx

I have never had to do that, as it was always part of the sim, surely? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

No, but even my old nokia had a copy data from sim function and also a copy to sim function and I never recall either of these making me loose texts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

All telephone calls have to go via your mobile provider, so why do text messages need a special message centre with a special number?

Reply to
Max Demian

That shouldn't be possible that number is determined by the SIM.

Unless you mean something else that the number the SMS is sent to so you can see it when someone sense you an SMS.

See what happens with a different SIM.

Reply to
Jane Black

Only the brain dead ones.