21st century problem

How do you adjust the speed on your turntable now that lights no longer flicker at 50Hz?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

How about a nice neon indicator?

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got one, recently bought, because I have around 300 LPs.

Reply to
charles

Now that is obviously your opinion, but a lot of us still have lots of old records and actually play them. I do get irritated by those sort of opinions as you propose, as although technology moves along, not everyone is prepared to re buy the music they already have. It was good enough then, its good enough now, and quite often the so called remastering to the new medium can destroy what one liked about the original. Which is right is academic. the important part is what you think.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I totally agree with you, Brian. I wouldn't be without my turntable for my fairly large vinyl collection.

Reply to
Bod

Yes but to get back to the original question assuming

a) you have a vinyl collection and b) you still play it

the original post stated (without explanation) that "The lights no longer flicker at 50Hz.

What has changed about the lights or the power supply to be different from 30 yrs ago?

Reply to
news

Many people have moved away from tungsten filament lamps to CFLs or LEDs. There are usually driven by a voltahe derived froma high frquency inverter and so 50Hz doesn't feature.

Reply to
charles

Many people have lighting which uses a high frequency.

An "old-fashioned" lamp will still have the same 50Hz flicker.

Reply to
polygonum

30 years ago, one solution was to rectify the mains, use an inverter to drive the motor, the inverter uses a crystal timebase (the crystal encased in a temperature controlled oven if you were totally over the top)

Now, simply use a cheap laser tachometer from ebay, about a tenner delivered.

Reply to
rootpassword

Use a turntable that has its own neon.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have CDs that were mastered from a scratched vinyl copy, and CDs that have the authentic tape hiss.

Reply to
alan_m

Don't worry about it when playing shellac, the record speeds were frequently off.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Lights do still flicker at 100 Hz, but only florescents which use a ballast. CFL's and high frequency tube flourescents do not flicker at mains frequency.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not a good idea anyway since mains frequency varies so much.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

National Grid operating limits are 49.8-50.2Hz, so within a tenth of a semitone.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

A more significant problem was the hole not being in quite the middle so you still get wow from the recording even if the deck is perfect.

Nowadays, that would be easy to emulate in software ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think you will find that your lights actually strobed at 100Hz not

50Hz.
Reply to
Graham.

That would not be a problem would it?

Reply to
ARW

Well, there are discs around with known frequencies recorded on them, so why not use a frequency counter with one of those? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not if the markings on the edge of the turntable were designed correctly. They would work at 100, 50, 25, 12.5.....

Luckily, all the turntables I have experience of are marked for a light flashing at 100Hz, and, if you could find a light that flashed at 50Hz, they would work just as well.

Reply to
John Williamson