Using a kitchen cupboard door inside panel as a white board?

Hi all,

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping list on.

I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed and will end up a black mess.

Is there a type of paint I could use to get a better finish to use like this?

Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

Presumably the plan is that, when the time comes to go shopping, you then unhinge the door and take it shopping with you. Either that or you copy the list onto the back of an envelope.

Cosmic, as Rodney used to say.

Might it not be easier to put a hook on the inside of the door, and hang said tatty bit of paper from it using a bulldog clip? Then you can simply take the piece of paper with you.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

I'd cam-phone-photo the back of the door and refer to that in the shop - simples.

Reply to
Tim Watts

wrong pen. go for ones meant for whiteboards

just buy a bit of whiteboard cheap and remove the frame and glue inside, if it don't work with proper pens.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah right. Cosmic again. It's ergonomically very poor.

A phone screen is far too small to be able to see anything useful on without having to zoom in and pan around, which means you lose the "bigger picture", as it were, and it's hellish fiddly. Low-tech paper wins hands-down, and has the added advantage that you can cross items off the list as you go.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Adopting your tone:

Yeah right. *if* you haven't run out of paper. *If* the pen is there and works.

I *always* have my phone to hand

You see, people have opinions and just because they're not yours, doesn't make them stupid...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bit like the Space Pen compared to a pencil.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

The Space Pen that NASA didn't develop?

I 'ates snopes, but at least they have the right of it this time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Which bit of "dry ... marker" are you struggling with? Thatr *is* a whiteboard pen.

It's the surface that's wrong. We had a recent off ice refit and all the "white boards" had to be re-refitted as the supplier or contractor had screwed up and tried to use what seemed like ordinary melamine. White boartds are *much* smoother and shinier.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

the bit where dry marker also means indelible ink marker pen for parcels and the like.

So buy a whiteboard and fit it inside the cupboard door, then,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I once made a really good dry-wipe tablet out of a bit of ply covered with sticky back plastic. It worked great with "nobo" type dry wipe pens

- which BTW you can get with small tips rather than blackboard grade wide tips.

Probably could make a pretty good board for a cupboard door with some artist's white "mount card" (the really heavy smooth thick stuff) covered with said plastic.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not sure about white board paint, but you can get black board paint which you can write on with chalk if that is of any use.

Reply to
Gareth

My tone was tongue in cheek and I apologise if it made you take offence. But if you disagree with the substance of what I said, I respectfully suggest that attacking my tone is a poor substitute for arguing in a well-reasoned fashion with the views expressed.

It is my opinion that the idea of using a phone to photograph a shopping list is stupid. I've explained why that is my opinion. It has nothing to do with it not being my idea.

I take your point of not running out of paper, but I reckon the danger of that is pretty low. Used envelopes are ideal for shopping lists, and they tend to be in plentiful supply.

Your point about the pen being there and working is vacuous because it applies just as much to the white board marker, if not more so.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

e of one of my

Not relevant in the context of *white board* pens.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of dry marker.

Reply to
Gareth

How many types of "dry" marker are there? Not by solvent, as I assume there are many variations, but by function. What else does "dry" marker ever mean except "suitable for dry wiping from whiteboards". There is no other purpose for them. They're no use for writing on anything else (even paper flip charts), nothing else is usabble on whiteboards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Fasten an A4 / A5 notepad in there, with an attached pen, and tear the sheet off to take with you.

IMHE, in my search for whiteboard materials (which spans twenty years of searching, even joining Buddhist monasteries in my search) there is no substitute for a _real_ hard laminate whiteboard. Even the "toy" whiteboards sold outside the commercial stationers (Ikea, etc) aren't much use - they're OK for short use, but the ink bleeds into them and shadows. If there's a way to make your own, I don't know it. You can cover white board with stick-on clear plastic, which is about the best substitute, but even that's not much good.

Also, there's no shortage of spare whiteboards. S/H or skip-diving outside offices (two nice six-footers last year, and a A-frame flipchart).

If you really want a whiteboard in there, get a real one and stick it on. However it's hard to then take the list with you.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Quite a few actually:

are not necessarily the same as whiteboard pens, for example:

Gareth

May I recommend one of these: ;->

;->>>>

No offence - and *I* should remember that tone carries poorly in a written medium, so sorry from me too...

Sometimes the patience is a little thin.

I think your opinion is fine, but it would be worth noting that it is a very subjective opinion and blanket statements like "stupid" are best reserved for statements which are more clear cut, like cutting Speedfit with a hacksaw (there's a story there)

In my house the probability of the pen or paper being nicked by the kids or either running out but the discoverer forgetting to mention it (or, heavens forbid, but more) is pretty high.

For me, I iPhone-cam lots of random things - lists, posters I want to get the details off later, SKU codes in B&Q of products that might be useful later - I do agree reading is hard work, but my eyes are good and it's outweighed by the fact that for other reasons, I must always carry a charged phone but seldom have paper or a pen to hand.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've never come across them described as anything but permanent markers.

"dry" is usually used in conjunction with "wipe" to describe whiteboard pens, though.

Reply to
Adrian