Using a garage as an office -- permission needed?

I asked if the garage there now ever had planning permission in the first place. He had a look and said there was nothing at all for our house and that their systems go back to the 70s. I know the garage is at least 20 years old but probably not as old as 30+.

But, he said if it's been there more than 4 years it doesn't matter anyway.

He also said that when demolishing a structure it's as if it was never there in their eyes so planning permission is needed as if it's a

*new* structure. Rebuilding a similar garage doesn't automatically mean no permission is needed.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Shouldn't that be, "as long as it *is* more than 5m from the house" ?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Dunno. Should it? The way I interpreted it was that anything close to the house was an extension. Anything more than 5m away starts becoming a separate building in its own right.

Who knows...

Jake

Reply to
Jake

And needs planning permission.

Anything more than 5m away starts becoming

And, if it's not living accommodation, doesn't need PP, however substantially built it is.

Not me.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

AIUI; (my neighbour had an extension built) the extension cannot encroach within five metres of the 'other' (garage) building. His extension _extends_ from his house and it's end is up to five metres from the pre-existing garage.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock