B*****y electricians

I helping my sin-in-law to refurbish a flat. The kitchen has a number of wall mounted spotlights we want to replace BUT the (expletive) electrician who wired them in 20 or so years ago I reckon, cut off the earth wire in the t & e and then buried it back into the plaster - with cement as my now suffering chisel discovered !

Will we be able to get wall mounted spots that are double insulated ? Alternatively if I dig far enough I might be able to get the earth path restored if I use a choc block connector - is this acceptable?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Not if the connection needs burying in plaster again.

Excavate your way back a bit, then crimp and heatshrink a new bit of cable on. You can then plaster that in safely.

John Rumm

But also check the earth is connected at 'the other end'. I wouldn't bet on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks guys - I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist at the other end either ! I see I'm not the only one moaning about tradesmen !

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

double insulated lights are common now. Screwfix does basic R80 spotlights for a couple of squid.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is that a euphemism for unmarried daughters partner?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq