Useful tip or old news?

I was repairing the "trigger" of my litter picker today. It has a large "full hand" trigger as opposed to a single finger affair and the plastic had given way in the middle of the trigger resulting in it bending instead of transmitting force to the claws.

A couple of nails, a bit of bamboo cane and a good dollop of epoxy resin glue will hopefully see it back in service soon. Naturally the glue didn't all go where I wanted it. It ended up on my fingers, on my tools and all over the "trigger" where I didn't want it.

I've tried meths in the past with no luck so I reached for a bottle of blue paint brush cleaner more in hope than expectation. Turned out to be great at removing epoxy glue.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What's in it?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When he says blue paint brush cleaner is this a cleaner for blue pain, or blue paint brushes or is the liquid blue?

Many of the good chemicals for cleaning off epoxy are now no longer made being CFC based etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tim+ brought next idea :

One of the pound shops sells a cheap version of a picker. The pivot pin at the bottom is useless and soon falls out, but if that is replaced with something more robust, they work fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Most likely acetone, as acetone will also remove dried acrylic emulsion etc from brushes. As well as attacking many/most types of plastic.

All of which it probably says on the label. Even if dressed up to justify a price considerablr higher than the raw materials used.

Tim don't forget is the sort of person who likes to keep things simple. A widely selling 40 year old hinge stamped out of sheet metal - and costing under ?1 to make regardless of the actual brand/price is clearly a "bad design".

All chemicals can be identified by their colour. Etc etc.

michael adams

michael adams

The blue stuff I've used has basically been white spirit, naptha or the like. (A few long sniffs usually serves to identify it, though I'm not up to identifying the precise mix or the oil field.) But I can't see why that would remove epoxy.

Reply to
Robin

In message , Tim+ writes

I'd be very interested in the list of ingredients if the blue liquid comes with such a thing. The only good stuff for removing epoxy from hands was the stuff from Glasplies

but of course normally one wears gloves.

Reply to
Bill

Checked the bottle now and it says "Contains kerosine". That can't be the only ingredient though as it's very miscible with water.

I think this is the same stuff

And here is their product safety information.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

IMLE given the brand and name it's usually easy to find online the COSHH assessment. But I imagine that won't work if it's a blue import ;)

Reply to
Robin

Sorry, I posted before I downloaded that. But great minds and all that.

Reply to
Robin

Its possible to mask the smell of acetone. That along with the pretty blue colour is basically what you're paying for.

Unless of course you really do think that the main chemical constituent of that particular brush cleaner is actually blue in colour.

That would be my cluelessness along with that of all the other people who've sucessfully fitted that particularly design of hinge over the last 40 years - as against your extensive knowledge of cabinet fittings you mean ? As to "cheapness" they cost less than ?1 each to make whether made by Blum or anyone else. The extra features found on the more expensive models probably add pennies to the actual manufacturing cost, ?1's to the price, while adding nothing at all to basic durability of the design.

It will at least have hazard warning labels on it to dissuade people such as yourself from trying to drink it. There may or may not also be warnings about not getting it on the skin. And what to do in the event of either thing happening.

michael adams

Alec

Do not use on plastic or bitumous materials.

Same difference.

And not a property normally associated with brush cleaner.

michael adams

Alec

Well it's dirt cheap and it works very well for paint brush cleaning.

*That's* what I'm paying for.

Pathetic even by your feeble standards.

It says "Contains kerosine" on the label but I don't suppose you bothered to read, or at least understand my message. That seems to be your forte.

Jeezo, are still wittering on about a cheap hinge that clearly isn't up to the job?

Get a life.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Kerosene which attacks plastic. I see.

You do know that you posted the following link

Do not use on plastic or bitumous materials.

and that kerosene is another word, used mainly by Americans and people seeking to "add value" in the UK, for common or garden paraffin.

michael adams

michael adams

MEK is another popular and less volatile solvent for cellulose paints. So is Xylene.

Then there is white spirit. For oil paints.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher