OT: California says key ingredient in Roundup weed killer can cause cancer

No apologies for the cross post, I think it was justified.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/28/health/california-glyphosate-cancer-chemical-listing/index.html

They're relying on the International Agency for Research on Cancer assessment:
"For the herbicide glyphosate, there was limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The evidence in humans is from studies of exposures, mostly agricultural, in the USA, Canada, and Sweden published since 2001. In addition, there is convincing evidence that glyphosate also can cause cancer in laboratory animals. On the basis of tumours in mice, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) originally classified glyphosate as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group C) in 1985. After a re-evaluation of that mouse study, the US EPA changed its classification to evidence of non-carcinogenicity in humans (Group E) in 1991."
Glyphosate is about as harmless to humans as it's possible to get. It's been so widely used for so long that any significant carcinogenic effect would have shown up clearly long ago.
In vivo tests are completely irrelevant. You force a mouse to swim in a concentrated solution of the compound for six weeks and when he catches a nasty cold you say it's carcinogenic.
--
Jack

On 29/06/2017 17:13, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Your point is what exactly? That Californians are hypochondriacs.
So does unleaded petrol with near certainty by containing 1-5% benzene.
http://www.fueloils.co.uk/files/mydocs/Fuel_Oils_Unleaded_Petrol_Spec_Safety_Sheet_2015.pdf
The study that declared glyphosate carcinogenic was very flawed. I am no fan of Monsanto but in this instance the active ingredient glyphosate is much less of a toxicity worry than the surfactants used in the commercial weedkiller formulations like RoundUp (I prefer other generic glyphosate products to avoid putting any money into Monsanto's coffers).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:

My point is that I posted the link as I thought that it may be of interest to gardeners. Don't shoot the messenger.
On Thursday, 29 June 2017 18:17:34 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I've heard roundup shouldn't be used anywhere near ponds and some have said if you have a pond anywhere in your garden don't use roundup as it will kill aquatic wildlife.
It happens that Martin Brown formulated :

Any recommendations for good, cheap generic offerings please?
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 9:10:33 AM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Search for "Rosate 360" on ebay ...
I used it to kill the rest of my lawn before returfing.
I thought it wasn't working (I used the weaker recommended dilution), but after 2 weeks it all went brown.
Simon.
sm_jamieson wrote :

Thanks!

Seconded. Bought some following a recommendation here, and it just works. Not instant by any means, but just left to get on with it, it does.
--
Graeme

Graeme formulated on Friday :

I'll order a gallon, once back home to accept delivery. I ran out of weed killer a few weeks ago and I have been unhurredly looking at buying some more, with out paying £14 for the dilute ready to spray versions.
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 01:37:10 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson

A bit weaker is often more effective, as it allows the glyphosate to spread further through the plant before finally killing it, thereby ensuring a more complete kill eventually. Some people expect the plant to die before their eyes, and are disappointed when it doesn't.
--

Chris

I am one of them. I remember dousing the garden with sodium chlorate in the late 80s and the place looked as though it had been napalmed two hours later.
When Brexit comes can we have sodium chlorate back? For alternative uses it seems that other, better products can be obtained.
[Snip]

how else can you make cheap explosives>

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 30/06/2017 09:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Check the ingredients on generic glyphosate versions in the sheds or the functional equivalents by former ICI now Syngenta. You want to buy the most percentage of the active ingredient for the least price.
Beware also that "Roundup" now seems to include formulations that are not just glyphosate based. Bit of a mess really.
Obviously do not buy the vastly overpriced convenience prediluted stuff.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 17:54:13 Martin Brown wrote:

And it's usually a lot cheaper.
David

On 29/06/17 17:13, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Not sure why it's of relevance to uk.d-i-y but thanks for posting it.
The Proposition 65 list (https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/proposition-65//p65single01272017.pdf ) is full of strange stuff. It includes things like "Diesel engine exhaust", which has been listed as a carcinogen since October 1990! But as far as I am aware, diesel is still being used in the USA. And also listed, since October 1994, is "Caffeic acid". Well, if it's a carcinogen, we might all be in trouble, particularly vegetarians, as it is a precursor of lignin and found in many plants! (eg see http://phenol-explorer.eu/contents/polyphenol/457 ).
--

Jeff

The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) said today (15 March) that much-discussed glyphosate weed killer should not be classified as a carcinogen
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/15/no-cancer-risk-to-using-glyphosate-weedkiller-says-eu-watchdog
https://www.euractiv.com/section/agriculture-food/news/glyphosate-is-not-carcinogenic-eu-agency-says/
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 30/06/2017 08:59, Martin wrote:

We should ignore that as the EU is bad and we must ban glyphosate based products now!
Well lots of things can cause cancer if consumed in large quantities, so one starts playing around wityh figures Somebody once told me that the radiation from rocks and space are probably why we had to evolve to reproduce the way we do to mitigate damage to the dna due to it. What next everyone lives and works inside a lead box? Brian
--
----- -

Well this is true. Mind you, there are DNA repair mechanisms at work in cells also. But life has always been exposed to radiation and has indeed had to adapt to survive.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where